Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-South Africa’s du Plessis retains middleweight UFC title -Capitatum
Chainkeen Exchange-South Africa’s du Plessis retains middleweight UFC title
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 07:26:10
PERTH,Chainkeen Exchange Australia (AP) — South African Dricus du Plessis took a flurry of body hits across four rounds before defeating Israel Adesanya by submission to retain his middleweight championship at UFC 305 on Sunday.
After scoring some early takedowns, du Plessis (22-2) had to withstand a flurry of body strikes from Adesanya through the middle rounds which appeared to be taking a toll on the 30-year-old South African as the fight progressed.
But a left hook followed by three rights helped bring Adesanya down which gave du Plessis the opening he wanted as he swiftly got the choke hold which forced the Nigerian-born New Zealander to tap out at 3:38 into the fourth round.
“This man is the king of getting back up,” du Plessis said of Adesanya, who was bidding to become a middleweight champion for the third time. “I’m still alive, that’s a bonus.
“I came here to die for this belt and to take a life. I’m still champion, baby.”
Tensions ahead of Sunday’s fight at the sold out RAC Arena at Perth, Australia had escalated after du Plessis, in response to Adesanya saying he’d take the belt back to Africa if he won, asked whether he would take his servants with him.
Despite the simmering animosity heading into the fight, which saw both fighters refrain from touching each others gloves at the start, the pair appeared to reconcile immediately after the contest.
“I’m really sorry that it came across that I disrespected the fact that he’s from Africa,” Du Plessis said. “That was never my intention. Africa would have won regardless, but tonight South Africa was the victor.”
It was the third time the South African has beat off challengers for the competitve middleweight division and second time this year after he won with a split decision over Sean Strickland in January at UFC 297.
Next in line for du Plessis is a return title-defense bout with Strickland at a date to be determined.
The 35-year-old Adesanya (24-4) was making his first appearance since returning from an 11-month sabbatical after losing the middleweight title by unanimous decision to Strickland in Sydney in September last year but said Sunday’s latest setback wasn’t career-ending.
“This is the best I’ve ever felt. I’m 35, I’m doing the right things. I’m not ... leaving,” he said.
Earlier, hometown favorite Steve Erceg’s was defeated by a first-round technical knock out in his flyweight bout with New Zealand’s Kai Kara-France. It was Erceg’s first fight since he was unanimously outpointed by champion Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301 in Brazil in May.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Arctic Sea Ice Hits Record Lows Off Alaska
- Tourists at Yellowstone picked up a baby elk and drove it in their car, officials say
- Jennifer Lopez Shares How Her Twins Emme and Max Are Embracing Being Teenagers
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Mothers tell how Pakistan's monsoon floods have upended their lives
- Portland Passes Resolution Opposing New Oil Transport Hub
- The unresponsive plane that crashed after flying over restricted airspace was a private jet. How common are these accidents?
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Tourists at Yellowstone picked up a baby elk and drove it in their car, officials say
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- What is a sonic boom, and how does it happen?
- Striving to outrace polio: What's it like living with the disease
- Stressed out about climate change? 4 ways to tackle both the feelings and the issues
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Today’s Climate: May 27, 2010
- U.S. Military Not Doing Enough to Prepare Bases for Climate Change, GAO Warns
- The crisis in Jackson shows how climate change is threatening water supplies
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
Utah district bans Bible in elementary and middle schools after complaint calls it sex-ridden
Volkswagen relaunches microbus as electric ID. Buzz
Today’s Climate: June 3, 2010
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Maria Menounos Recalls Fearing She Wouldn't Get to Meet Her Baby After Cancer Diagnosis
How has your state's abortion law affected your life? Share your story
Tourists at Yellowstone picked up a baby elk and drove it in their car, officials say