Current:Home > ScamsNorthern Ireland prosecutor says UK soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday won’t face perjury charges -Capitatum
Northern Ireland prosecutor says UK soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday won’t face perjury charges
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:34:49
LONDON (AP) — Fifteen British soldiers who allegedly lied to an inquiry into Bloody Sunday, one of the deadliest days of the decades-long Northern Ireland conflict, will not face perjury charges, prosecutors said Friday.
There was insufficient evidence to convict the soldiers or a former alleged member of the Irish Republican Army about their testimony before an inquiry into the 1972 killings of 13 civilians by Britain’s Parachute Regiment in Derry, also known as Londonderry, the Public Prosecution Service said.
An initial investigation into the slayings on Jan. 30, 1972 concluded the soldiers were defending themselves from a mob of IRA bombers and gunmen. But a 12-year-long inquiry concluded in 2010 that soldiers unjustifiably opened fire on unarmed and fleeing civilians and then lied about it for decades.
Families of the victims were outraged by the decision. John Kelly, whose brother Michael was killed by paratroopers, spoke for the group and called it an “affront to the rule of law.”
“Why is it that the people of Derry cannot forget the events of Bloody Sunday, yet the Parachute Regiment, who caused all of the deaths and injury on that day, apparently cannot recall it?” Kelly said. “The answer to this question is quite simple but painfully obvious: The British Army lied its way through the conflict in the north.”
Although a quarter century has passed since the Good Friday peace accord in 1998 largely put to rest three decades of violence involving Irish republican and British loyalist militants and U.K. soldiers, “the Troubles″ still reverberate. Some 3,600 people were killed — most in Northern Ireland, though the IRA also set off bombs in England.
Only one ex-paratrooper from Bloody Sunday, known as Soldier F, faces prosecution for two murders and five attempted murders. He was among the 15 soldiers who could have faced a perjury charge.
While victims continue to seek justice for past carnage, the possibility of a criminal prosecution could soon vanish.
The British government passed a Legacy and Reconciliation Bill last year that would have given immunity from prosecution for most offenses by militant groups and British soldiers after May 1. But a Belfast judge ruled in February that the bill does not comply with human rights law. The government is appealing the ruling.
Attorney Ciaran Shiels, who represents some of the Bloody Sunday families, said they would not rule out further legal action.
“It is of course regrettable that this decision has been communicated to us only today, some 14 years after the inquiry’s unequivocal findings, but less than two weeks before the effective enactment date of the morally bankrupt legacy legislation designed specifically to allow British Army veterans to escape justice for its criminal actions in the north of Ireland,” Shiels said.
Senior Public Prosecutor John O’Neill said the decision not to bring criminal charges was based on three things: accounts given by soldiers in 1972 were not admissible; much of the evidence the inquiry relied on is not available today; and the inquiry’s conclusion that testimony was false did not always meet the criminal standard of proof.
“I wish to make clear that these decisions not to prosecute in no way undermine the findings of the Bloody Sunday Inquiry that those killed or injured were not posing a threat to any of the soldiers,” O’Neill said.
veryGood! (679)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- 'Sacred': Cherokee name in, Confederate general out for Tennessee's highest mountain
- This $9 Primer & Mascara Have People Asking If I’m Wearing Fake Lashes
- Ulta & Sephora 1-Day Deals: 50% Off Lancome Monsieur Big Volumizing Mascara, MAC Liquid Lipstick & More
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Former northern Virginia jail deputy gets 6 1/2 years for drug operation, sex trafficking
- Eva Mendes Shares Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Are Not Impressed With Her Movies
- Sam's Club workers to receive raise, higher starting wages, but pay still behind Costco
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Sebastian Stan Defends Costar Adam Pearson’s Condition After Reporter Uses Term Beast in Interview
Ranking
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Raven-Symoné Says Demi Lovato Was Not the Nicest on Sonny with a Chance—But Doesn't Hold It Against Her
- Bruins' Jeremy Swayman among unsigned players as NHL training camps open
- Georgia Sen. Jon Ossoff seeks more control over postmaster general after mail meltdown
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Oversight board says it will help speed up projects to fix Puerto Rico’s electric grid
- What NFL games are today: Schedule, time, how to watch Thursday action
- Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell is selling his house to seek more privacy
Recommendation
Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
Veteran CIA officer who drugged and sexually assaulted dozens of women gets 30 years in prison
A 12-year-old boy fatally shoots a black bear mauling his father during a hunt in western Wisconsin
Kaitlyn Bristowe Reveals Why She and Ex Jason Tartick Are No Longer Sharing Custody of Their 2 Dogs
A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
Found: The Best Free People Deals Under $50, Featuring Savings Up to 92% Off & Styles Starting at Just $6
Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese change the WNBA’s landscape, and its future
Review: Marvel's 'Agatha All Along' has a lot of hocus pocus but no magic