Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:Florida education commissioner skips forum on criticized Black history standards -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:Florida education commissioner skips forum on criticized Black history standards
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 07:51:47
MIAMI GARDENS,Johnathan Walker Fla. (AP) — Hundreds of lawmakers, teachers, school board members and parents crowded into a South Florida church Thursday evening for a forum on Florida’s new standards for teaching Black history, which have drawn harsh criticism for requiring teachers to instruct middle-school students that enslaved people “developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”
But one person who wasn’t in attendance was Florida Education Commissioner Manny Diaz — the man responsible for overseeing the standards.
The former area high school teacher had previously agreed to attend, according to organizers. His participation was advertised on fliers publicizing the event, which was sponsored by Democratic Florida Sen. Shevrin Jones. A chair even was set up on the podium for him with a placard bearing his name.
Diaz, a former Florida lawmaker who was appointed commissioner last year by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, said on social media that “there was nothing sudden” about his inability to attend the town hall meeting at Antioch Baptist Church in Miami Gardens, where two-thirds of residents are Black, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
“As I told the senator last week, I will be visiting schools throughout the state to welcome back students, parents and teachers for the first day of school,” Diaz said.
Most districts in Florida had their first day of school on Thursday.
Before the town hall meeting got underway, Anthony Durden, a local activist and minister from Miami Gardens, called the new standards disrespectful and insensitive. He said the only way to move forward was with “honest dialogue” but that students were being deprived of that.
“To say that Blacks benefited from slavery is insane,” Durden said.
DeSantis, who is seeking the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, has repeatedly defended the new language while insisting that his critics, who include Vice President Kamala Harris and two leading Black Republicans in Congress, are intentionally misinterpreting one line of the sweeping curriculum.
Harris, the nation’s first Black vice president, traveled to Florida last month to condemn the curriculum. Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, who is the chamber’s sole Black Republican and is also seeking the White House, also issued a direct rebuke of DeSantis.
Critics said the new school standards are the latest in a series of attacks on Black history by the governor’s administration. At the beginning of the year, DeSantis’ administration blocked a new Advanced Placement course on African American studies from being taught in high schools, saying it was contrary to state law.
DeSantis also has pushed through the “ Stop WOKE Act, ” a law that limits discussions on race in schools and by corporations, and banned state universities from using state or federal money for diversity programs.
veryGood! (61861)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Why Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix Are Sparking Wedding Rumors
- Voting gets underway in Pennsylvania, as counties mail ballots and open satellite election offices
- Jets’ Lazard expects NFL to fine him over gun-like celebration
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Shell Shock festival criticized for Kyle Rittenhouse appearance: 'We do not discriminate'
- Maryland governor aims to cut number of vacant properties in Baltimore by 5,000
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs faces 120 more sexual abuse claims, including 25 victims who were minors
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Jets’ Lazard expects NFL to fine him over gun-like celebration
Ranking
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Second fan files lawsuit claiming ownership of Shohei Ohtani’s 50-50 baseball
- Best Early Prime Day Pet Deals: Unleash 60% Off Dog Seat Belts, Cologne, Brushes & More as Low as $4.49
- Pennsylvania town grapples with Trump assassination attempt ahead of his return
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Chemical smoke spewing from a Georgia factory is projected to spread toward Atlanta as winds shift
- Gap Fall Clothes That Look Expensive: Affordable Luxury for 60% Off
- Washington airman receives award after carrying injured 79-year-old hiker down trail
Recommendation
Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
Mark Estes Breaks Silence on Kristin Cavallari Split
NFL power rankings Week 5: Do surging Baltimore Ravens rocket all the way up to No. 1?
Shell Shock festival criticized for Kyle Rittenhouse appearance: 'We do not discriminate'
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
No one expects a judge’s rollback of Georgia’s abortion ban to be the last word
Dockworkers join other unions in trying to fend off automation, or minimize the impact
Michigan’s minimum wage to jump 20% under court ruling