Current:Home > InvestSean “Diddy” Combs Arrest: Lawyer Says He’s in “Treatment and Therapy” Amid Sex Trafficking Charges -Capitatum
Sean “Diddy” Combs Arrest: Lawyer Says He’s in “Treatment and Therapy” Amid Sex Trafficking Charges
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-05 18:54:43
Sean “Diddy” Combs’ lawyer is sharing more information into the music producer’s current state.
Following the news of Diddy’s arrest on charges of racketeering conspiracy, sex trafficking and transportation to engage in prostitution, his attorney Marc Agnifilo shared more details about the performer’s condition.
"He is not a perfect person. There has been drug use. He has been in toxic relationships,” Agnifilo told the court, according to NBC News, adding that Diddy is receiving, “treatment and therapy for things that he needs treatment and therapy for.”
The documents alleged that "for decades" Diddy, 54, "abused, threatened, and coerced women and others around him to fulfill his sexual desires, protect his reputation, and conceal his conduct."
According to the documents, the music mogul organized “Freak Offs,” or “elaborate sex performances” during which female victims were compelled through “force, threats of force, and coercion, to cause victims to engage in extended sex acts with male commercial sex workers.” Per the indictment, among supplies seized by authorities from Diddy’s homes earlier this year were 1,000 bottles of baby oil.
Diddy appeared in the New York City courtroom on Sept. 17 to face the charges against him. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and was denied a $50 million bond proposal to get out of jail while he awaits trial.
"Please reserve your judgment until you have all the facts," Agnifilo said Sept. 16. "These are the acts of an innocent man with nothing to hide, and he looks forward to clearing his name in court.”
For more details on Diddy's legal troubles, read on.
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
Federal agents with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) executed search warrants at Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Los Angeles and Miami properties on March 25, multiple law enforcement sources confirmed to NBC News.
The sources told the outlet the warrant was out of the Southern District of New York, and a spokesperson for HSI New York confirmed to E! News it “executed law enforcement actions as part of an ongoing investigation, with assistance from HSI Los Angeles, HSI Miami, and our local law enforcement partners.”
Law enforcement sources told NBC News the music mogul was in the Miami area when the search warrants were executed.
News about the investigation broke after Combs faced allegations of sexual misconduct in lawsuits filed by multiple accusers starting in November, with the musician denying the allegations.
“Sickening allegations have been made against me by individuals looking for a quick payday,” he wrote in a December statement posted on Instagram. “Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth.”
The day after HSI executed the search warrants at Combs' L.A. and Miami properties, his lawyer spoke out.
"Yesterday, there was a gross overuse of military-level force as search warrants were executed at Mr. Combs' residences," attorney Aaron Dyer said in a March 26 statement to E! News. "There is no excuse for the excessive show of force and hostility exhibited by authorities or the way his children and employees were treated."
Dyer noted Combs “was never detained but spoke to and cooperated with authorities.”
“Despite media speculation, neither Mr. Combs nor any of his family members have been arrested nor has their ability to travel been restricted in any way,” his lawyer's statement continued. “This unprecedented ambush—paired with an advanced, coordinated media presence—leads to a premature rush to judgment of Mr. Combs and is nothing more than a witch hunt based on meritless accusations made in civil lawsuits.”
And Dyer expressed Combs' intent to defend himself.
“There has been no finding of criminal or civil liability with any of these allegations,” he added. “Mr. Combs is innocent and will continue to fight every single day to clear his name.”
As for what actually went down during the searches, multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the warrant told NBC News authorities with the Department of Homeland Security seized phones from Combs’ home in Miami before he was scheduled to travel to the Bahamas, and several sources familiar with the matter added that guns were discovered during the search.
One source familiar with the matter also told NBC News three women and one man were interviewed by prosecutors and investigators from the Southern District of New York about allegations of sex trafficking, sexual assault, the solicitation and distribution of illegal narcotics and firearms purportedly tied to Combs.
On the same day the search warrants were executed at Combs’ Miami and Los Angeles properties, one of his associates, Brendan Paul, was arrested by the Miami-Dade police on suspicion of drug possession, a law enforcement source familiar with the matter told NBC News.
According to the Miami-Dade arrest affidavit obtained by the outlet, Paul was taken into custody for allegedly possessing suspected cocaine and suspected marijuana candy.
Prison records obtained by NBC News show Paul was released on March 26 after posting bond.
“We do not plan on trying this case in the media,” Paul’s attorney Brian Bieber said in a statement obtained by the outlet, “all issues will be dealt with in court.”
In May, Paul accepted a plea deal, with his lawyer Bieber telling People, "Brendan accepted the prosecutor’s offer to permit his entry into the diversion program which, after completion, the case against him will be dismissed in its entirety."
He was arrested in the lobby of a New York hotel on Sept. 16, 2024, according to NBC News. It's unclear what Combs has been charged with and if the arrest has any potential connection to the raids.
“We are disappointed with the decision to pursue what we believe is an unjust prosecution of Mr. Combs by the U.S. Attorney’s Office," his lawyer Marc Agnifilo said in a statement to E! News. "He is an imperfect person but Is not criminal. To his credit Mr. Combs has been nothing but cooperative with this investigation and he voluntarily relocated to New York last week in anticipation of these charges."
After Combs was arrested based on the sealed indictment, the indictment was unsealed on Sept. 17.
The 54-year-old was charged with racketeering conspiracy; sex trafficking by force, fraud or coercion; as well as transportation to engage in prostitution, according to court documents obtained by NBC News.
The indictment alleged Combs “abused, threatened, and coerced women and others around him to fulfill his sexual desires, protect his reputation, and conceal his conduct” for more than a decade, with prosecutors saying the purported behavior started around 2008.
"To do so," the documents stated, "Combs relied on the employees, resources, and influence of the multi-faceted business empire that he led and controlled—creating a criminal enterprise whose members and associates engaged in, and attempted to engage in, among other crimes, sex trafficking, forced labor, kidnapping, arson, bribery, and obstruction of justice."
According to NBC News, Combs pleaded not guilty and was denied bail.
“He’s going to fight this with all of his energy and all of his might,” his attorney Marc Agnifilo told reporters outside the courthouse prior to the arraignment, “and the full confidence of his lawyers."
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Oklahoma superintendent orders public schools to teach the Bible
- Gay men can newly donate blood. They're feeling 'joy and relief.'
- Tesla Bay Area plant ordered to stop spewing toxic emissions after repeated violations
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Ariana Grande calling Jeffrey Dahmer dream dinner guest slammed by victim's mom
- Inside Protagonist Black, a pop-up shop celebrating diverse books and cocktail pairings
- The Daily Money: Peeling back the curtain on Boeing
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- Kinky Friedman, singer, satirist and political candidate, dies at 79
Ranking
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- Debate takeaways: Trump confident, even when wrong, Biden halting, even with facts on his side
- Judge to weigh request to dismiss Alec Baldwin shooting case for damage to evidence during testing
- Supreme Court blocks enforcement of EPA’s ‘good neighbor’ rule on downwind pollution
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Marijuana conviction in Maryland? Maybe there’s a job for you
- Delaware lawmakers approve a $1.1 billion capital budget for the fiscal year starting Monday
- Lakers draft Bronny James: What it means for him, team and LeBron's future
Recommendation
Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
Wildfires rage across three states as evacuations, searches continue
The Supreme Court allows emergency abortions in Idaho for now in a limited ruling
Queer Eye's Jonathan Van Ness Breaks Silence on Abusive Workplace Allegations
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Suspect in Idaho college town killings expected in court
Bronny James must earn his spot with Lakers, but no one should question his heart
Family of former Texas US Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson announces resolution to claims after her death