Current:Home > reviewsJury returns mixed verdict in slaying of Detroit synagogue leader Samantha Woll -Capitatum
Jury returns mixed verdict in slaying of Detroit synagogue leader Samantha Woll
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:19:40
DETROIT – A Michigan jury returned a mixed verdict Thursday in the killing of Samantha Woll, the beloved synagogue leader and political activist whose 2023 stabbing death devastated the metro Detroit Jewish community and continues to torment her family.
The Wayne County jury acquitted 29-year-old Michael Jackson-Bolanos of premeditated first-degree murder but found him guilty of lying to police over his role in the death of Woll, who prosecutors argued was fatally stabbed at her Detroit home. Jurors deadlocked on the remaining counts of felony murder and home invasion.
Prosecutors have to decide by next week whether they will retry the case against Jackson-Bolanos on the two deadlocked counts. A pretrial hearing is scheduled for July 25. The lying-to-police charge is a high crimes misdemeanor, punishable by up to two years in prison.
The high-profile case has drawn national attention and much scrutiny after Woll's death in October rattled the Jewish community. The defense maintained that police arrested the wrong man and ignored other suspects, particularly Woll's ex-boyfriend, while the prosecution argued Jackson-Bolanos was a thief, prowling in the night, who murdered Woll during a home invasion and fled to avoid getting caught. Her blood was later found on a jacket he had been wearing.
Defense, prosecution react to verdict
The defendant's lawyer expressed frustration with the verdict.
"I think they should have acquitted him of everything," defense attorney Brian Brown said after the mixed verdict was read.
"It's somewhat of a small, partial victory — but it's not the victory I was anticipating," Brown said, noting he anticipated his client being cleared of everything. "I feel like the evidence was more than substantial to acquit him of all the charges."
Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Ryan Elsey – the lead prosecutor in the case – said nothing after the verdicts came down and referred reporters to Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy, who issued the following statement:
“First, I want to thank the jury for their time, dedication, and attention to this case. We were hopeful that a decision could reached today, but we will press on for justice for the Wolls and will determine our next course of action at the pre-trial hearing.”
Jury said it was deadlocked 3 times since deliberations began
Jurors were escorted out of the courthouse by sheriff's deputies. The judge urged them not to talk to the media, noting the case may be retried on the two deadlocked counts. She did, however, tell them: "You are free to do what you want."
As the jurors exited the courtroom, the defendant turned around to look at them.
The jurors left without commenting. So did Woll's friends, who looked on in suspense as the jury prepared to announce its decision. The jury's final decision came as an emotional blow.
With tissues at hand and lips pursed, some sighed as the verdicts were read.
Since deliberations began last week, the jury three times told Wayne County Circuit Judge Margaret Van Houten that it was deadlocked on some of the counts. She sent them back into deliberations to try and reach a verdict.
"We don't want you to give up quite yet. ... We'd like you to give it one more day to discuss things," Van Houten told jurors on Monday. One of the jurors was dismissed on Monday because of a prescheduled vacation. An alternate juror joined the panel Tuesday as the jury continued deliberations through Thursday.
Defendant testified in his defense
Jackson-Bolanos, who took the rare step of testifying in his own defense, told the jury that he was breaking into cars on the night he stumbled across Woll's body in front of her home, felt for a pulse and fled when he realized she was dead. He admitted to the jury that he initially lied to police when he said he never saw or touched her body, but that he only did so because he was afraid of being blamed for her death, and that he did not kill her.
The defense also accused the police of running a shoddy investigation and ignoring other potential suspects, primarily an ex-boyfriend who allegedly confessed during a panic attack to killing Woll, but then recanted. He was not charged and testified at trial under immunity.
The prosecution called Jackson-Bolanos a liar repeatedly, and urged the jury not to believe him, maintaining he killed Woll during a "crime of opportunity" and fled out of fear he'd be caught.
As for defense claims that police botched the investigation, ignored other potential suspects and handled Woll's ex-boyfriend with "kid gloves" – the prosecution said the ex-boyfriend never provided any details about her killing, that he convinced himself he had killed her under a state of delusion, and that investigators found no evidence linking him to Woll's murder.
Woll’s death sent shock waves through Jewish, interfaith communities
Woll's death made national headlines and sent shock waves throughout Jewish and interfaith communities in metro Detroit. She was the president of the Isaac Agree Downtown Synagogue and founded the Muslim-Jewish Forum of Detroit.
She was also well known among Michigan Democratic leadership, having worked for Democratic Rep. Elissa Slotkin and on the re-election campaign of Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel.
Those who knew Woll described her as a leader whose kindness and dedication to justice were among some of her best qualities.
Woll's sister, Dr. Monica Woll Rosen, described her as the "kindest, most generous human I've ever met."
"Your soul was beautiful and pure. You loved with all your heart. You never said no but how can I help?" Woll Rosen said at the funeral service last year, addressing her late sister. "You so deeply wanted peace for this world. You fought for everyone regardless of who they were or where they came from. You were the definition of a leader. Our world is shattered without you."
Contributing: John Bacon, Thao Nguyen, USA TODAY; Violet Ikonomova, Andrea May Sahouri, Detroit Free Press
veryGood! (6224)
Related
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- California tech CEO convicted in COVID-19 and allergy test fraud case sentenced to 8 years in prison
- NFL Week 7 odds: Moneylines, point spreads, over/under
- Which Republicans voted against Jim Jordan's speaker bid Wednesday — and who changed sides?
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- District attorney praises officer who shot man who killed two Black bystanders moments earlier
- Indicator exploder: jobs and inflation
- Rep. Jim Jordan again facing scrutiny for OSU scandal amid House speaker battle
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Ex-official who pleaded guilty to lying to feds in nuclear project failure probe gets home detention
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- When We Were Young in Las Vegas: What to know about 2023 lineup, set times, tickets
- Mike Pompeo thinks Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin would be a really good president
- Her sister and nephew disappeared 21 years ago. Her tenacity got the case a new look.
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
- Down, but not out: Two Argentine political veterans seek to thwart upstart populist
- Nolan Arenado's streak of consecutive Gold Gloves at third base ends
- Mexican court employees call 5-day strike to protest proposed funding cuts
Recommendation
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
'Keep it going': Leading ALCS, Rangers get Max Scherzer return for Game 3 vs. Astros
World Food Program appeals for $19 million to provide emergency food in quake-hit Afghanistan
Twitter influencer sentenced for trying to trick Clinton supporters to vote by text
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Sen. Bob Menendez’s co-defendants, including his wife, plead not guilty to revised bribery charges
Indonesian presidential candidates register for next year’s elections as supporters cheer
Restaurant chain Sweetgreen using robots to make salads