Current:Home > NewsPhiladelphia woman who was driving a partially automated Mustang Mach-E charged with DUI homicide -Capitatum
Philadelphia woman who was driving a partially automated Mustang Mach-E charged with DUI homicide
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 06:40:20
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A woman was intoxicated and using a partially automated driving system when she caused a March highway crash in Philadelphia that killed two people, authorities said as they announced homicide charges against the driver.
State and federal investigators say the woman’s Ford Mustang Mach-E SUV struck the stationary vehicle of a man who had stopped on the left shoulder of I-95 to assist a man whose car had broken down ahead of him. The March collision, which occurred around 3 a.m., killed both men.
The crash was at least the second this year involving a Mach-E striking a stationary vehicle after dark that the NTSB has investigated. In a February crash along Interstate 10 in San Antonio, Texas, investigators believe a Mach-E struck a Honda CR-V that was stopped in the middle lane with no lights on. The driver of the CR-V was killed.
In a statement Tuesday, Pennsylvania State Police said that drivers using advanced technologies should be prepared to resume control at all times.
“No partially automated vehicle technology should ever be left alone to perform the driving tasks that are required to safely navigate the roads of the commonwealth,” the agency said.
Ford’s Blue Cruise system allows drivers to take their hands off the steering wheel while it handles steering, braking and acceleration on highways. The company says the system isn’t fully autonomous and it monitors drivers to make sure they pay attention to the road.
Investigators in Philadelphia believe that Mustang driver Dimple Patel was driving about 71 mph (114 kph), using both Blue Cruise and Adaptive Cruise Control, when the crash occurred. A fourth vehicle was also struck.
Patel, of Philadelphia, faces multiple charges, including homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence and involuntary manslaughter. She turned herself in to police Tuesday on the charges filed last week, state police said. Her lawyer did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.
Ford has said it was collaborating with both the state police and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in reviewing the crash, which killed Aktilek Baktybekov, who had broken down, and Tolobek Esenbekov, who had presumably stopped in the left shoulder to assist him.
Federal investigators have studied other previous crashes involving partially automated driving systems, most involving Tesla’s Autopilot.
veryGood! (7681)
Related
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- 'When Calls the Heart' star Mamie Laverock 'opened her eyes' after 5-story fall, mom says
- Body of diver found in Lake Erie ID'd as director of local shipwreck team
- Nebraska woman declared dead at nursing home discovered breathing at funeral home 2 hours later
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Navy vet has Trump’s nod ahead of Virginia’s US Senate primary, targets Tim Kaine in uphill battle
- AT&T resolves service issue reported across US
- How Biden’s new order to halt asylum at the US border is supposed to work
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Student pilot attempted solo cross-country flight before crashing into a Connecticut campground
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- 'Boy Meets World' star Trina McGee reveals she's pregnant at age 54
- Student pilot attempted solo cross-country flight before crashing into a Connecticut campground
- Former prosecutor settles lawsuit against Netflix over Central Park Five series
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Online marketplace eBay to drop American Express, citing fees, and says customers have other options
- Ohio’s attorney general seeks to block seminary college from selling its rare books
- Novak Djokovic Withdraws From French Open After Suffering Knee Injury
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
In new Hulu show 'Clipped,' Donald Sterling's L.A. Clippers scandal gets a 2024 lens: Review
North Carolina state senator drops effort to restrict access to autopsy reports
Woman mayor shot dead in Mexico day after Claudia Sheinbaum's historic presidential win
Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
Best Sunscreens for Brown Skin That Won’t Leave a White Cast: Coola, Goop, Elta MD & More
Horoscopes Today, June 3, 2024
Novak Djokovic withdraws from French Open due to meniscus tear in his right knee