Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|Greek authorities conduct search and rescue operation after dinghy carrying migrants capsizes -Capitatum
Chainkeen|Greek authorities conduct search and rescue operation after dinghy carrying migrants capsizes
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 06:16:34
ATHENS,Chainkeen Greece (AP) — Greek authorities conducted a search and rescue operation Friday off the coast of a small islet in the eastern Aegean Sea near the Turkish coast after a dinghy carrying migrants to Greece capsized, the coast guard said.
A total of 18 people were rescued, while one more person, a woman, was pulled from the water unconscious, the coast guard said. The survivors were to be transported to the nearby island of Samos. The coast guard said no further people were reported as missing.
Thousands of people fleeing war and poverty in the Middle East, Africa and Asia attempt to make the short but dangerous sea crossing from Turkey to the Greek islands each year, in the hope of eventually making their way to more prosperous European Union countries.
Some attempt to skirt around Greece and head directly to Italy instead, either from Turkey or from north Africa. The longer sea journey is considerably more perilous, and has claimed hundreds of lives.
In June, an overloaded fishing trawler believed to have been carrying up to 750 people capsized and sank off the coast of western Greece as it headed from Libya to Italy. The vast majority of passengers had been below deck, and only 104 survivors and 78 bodies were recovered.
veryGood! (1241)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Tension soars as Israelis march through east Jerusalem, Gaza bombing intensifies and rockets land from Lebanon
- Middle school crossing guard charged with giving kids marijuana, vapes
- 2024 Kids' Choice Awards nominees announced
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- YouTuber charged for having a helicopter blast a Lamborghini with fireworks, authorities say
- Mistrial declared for man charged with using a torch to intimidate at white nationalist rally
- Geno Auriemma explains why Caitlin Clark was 'set up for failure' in the WNBA
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s Ex Ryan Anderson Reveals Just How Many Women Are Sliding Into His DMs
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- When is Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul fight? No new date requested yet after promoters' pledge
- UN Secretary-General Calls for Ban on Fossil Fuel Advertising, Says Next 18 Months Are Critical for Climate Action
- US cricket stuns Pakistan in a thrilling 'super over' match, nabs second tournament victory
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Fiona Harvey files $170M lawsuit against Netflix for alleged 'Baby Reindeer' portrayal
- NCAA panel sets up schools having sponsor logos on football fields for regular home games
- These Wheel of Fortune Secrets May Make Your Head Spin
Recommendation
A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
Mike Tyson’s fight with Jake Paul has been rescheduled for Nov. 15 after Tyson’s health episode
Stranger Things' Joe Keery Breaks Silence on Big Breakup From Maika Monroe
Where is Baby Dewees? Father of Palmdale baby who vanished charged with murder
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
California Oil Town Chose a Firm with Oil Industry Ties to Review Impacts of an Unprecedented 20-Year Drilling Permit Extension
The Daily Money: Last call for the Nvidia stock split
Wheel of Fortune's Vanna White Says Goodbye to Pat Sajak in Emotional Message