Current:Home > ContactNovaQuant-Workers expressed concern over bowed beams, structural issues before Idaho hangar collapse killed 3 -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Workers expressed concern over bowed beams, structural issues before Idaho hangar collapse killed 3
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 07:26:02
BOISE,NovaQuant Idaho (AP) — Workers had expressed concerns about bending or bowed beams and structural issues before a steel airport hangar under construction in Idaho collapsed in January, killing three people and injuring nine others, a newspaper reported.
Some employees told the site’s supervisor of their worries a day before the privately owned and partially built hangar collapsed Jan. 31 on the grounds of the Boise Airport, according to police reports released to the Idaho Statesman through a public records request.
Meridian-based contractor Big D Builders was the general contractor of the $8.1 million, 39,000-square-foot (3,623-square-meter) hangar for Jackson Jet Center at the airport.
Inland Crane of Boise provided equipment and operators for the project, and that company’s supervisor told police he “has worked a crane on several of these types of sites, and the ‘bowing’ of the beam did not look right to him.”
The supervisor told the police he had reported the concerns to Big D Builders co-founder Craig Durrant, one of three victims in the collapse, and that Durrant said he had made calls to an engineer.
Dennis Durrant, Craig’s brother and company owner, told police in an interview that the beams were “bowing.” They contacted the manufacturer because the supports for the frame weren’t “adequate,” according to the police documents.
An engineer gave them guidance to reinforce the building, Durrant told officers.
The police interviews indicate Craig Durrant told the crane supervisor that the frame was fine after speaking to the engineer because workers added straps on the beams. They were also trying to place more beams to support the roof.
The Durrant brothers were in the center of the site when they heard loud popping noises, according to the police reports. They ran for the perimeter but Dennis Durrant told police the building “came down within seconds,” killing his brother. Also killed in the collapse were two construction workers, Mario Sontay Tzi , 32, and Mariano “Alex” Coc Och, 24.
Several Inland Crane employees also told their company’s safety officer about “structural integrity concerns” for the hangar, according to the police interviews.
“He also confirmed multiple crane operators from Inland Crane reported curved beams and snapped stiffener cables,” police wrote.
The hangar’s overhead beams were not straight, and there were not enough cross-sections to support the overhead beams, another crane operator told officers.
Yet another crane operator told police the cranes were brought to the construction site to “straighten out the hangar because portions of it were bending.”
A woman who answered the phone Wednesday at Big D Builders said owner Dennis Durrant declined to comment to The Associated Press.
However, David Stark, Big D Builders superintendent general contractor, maintained that there weren’t any problems at the site, and that he didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, the Statesman reported.
Boise police turned its information over to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which has said its investigation could take up to six months.
Inland Crane Vice President Jeremy Haener has previously said no action by Inland Crane operators or the crane itself were cause for the structure’s failure, based on the accounts of workers on the site and the steel erecting contractor.
“Inland Crane is actively participating in the OSHA investigation around the tragic incident that occurred on a Boise job site on Jan. 31,” Haener said in a statement Tuesday. “Out of respect for the integrity of that process, we have no additional statements to make until that review is completed.”
veryGood! (94728)
Related
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Kaiser Permanente workers have tentative deal after historic strike
- Netflix plans to open brick and mortar locations
- In Israel’s call for mass evacuation, Palestinians hear echoes of their original catastrophic exodus
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- When it comes to heating the planet, the fluid in your AC is thousands of times worse than CO2
- Schools near a Maui wildfire burn zone are reopening. Parents wrestle with whether to send kids back
- Stop What You’re Doing: Kate Spade Is Offering Up to 70% Off on Bags, Accessories & More
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Man United sale: Qatari banker Sheikh Jassim is withdrawing his bid - AP source
Ranking
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- It's the warmest September on record thanks to El Niño and, yes, climate change
- The toll of heat deaths in the Phoenix area soars after the hottest summer on record
- Clemency denied for ex-police officer facing execution in 1995 murders of coworker, 2 others
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- 17-year-old boy arrested in Morgan State University mass shooting, 2nd suspect identified
- Parents of Michigan school shooter ask to leave jail to attend son’s sentencing
- Palestinians flee south after Israel calls for evacuation of northern Gaza
Recommendation
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
Louvre Museum and Versailles Palace evacuated after bomb threats with France on alert
At least 27 dead with dozens more missing after boat capsizes in northwest Congo
Malaysia will cut subsidies and tax luxury goods as it unveils a 2024 budget narrowing the deficit
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
AP Election Brief | What to expect in Louisiana’s statewide primaries
This week on Sunday Morning (October 15)
The Louvre Museum in Paris is being evacuated after a threat while France is under high alert