Current:Home > InvestColombia announces cease-fire with a group that split off from the FARC rebels -Capitatum
Colombia announces cease-fire with a group that split off from the FARC rebels
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 01:51:30
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government and one of the nation’s last remaining rebel groups announced Tuesday that they will start peace talks next month, and enter a 10-month cease-fire that is expected to decrease violence against civilians.
The agreement between the Colombian government and the rebel group known as FARC-EMC comes as President Gustavo Petro tries to bolster his plans to pacify rural areas of Colombia by negotiating simultaneously with all of the nation’s remaining rebel factions, under his “total peace” strategy.
In August the Petro administration brokered a six-month cease=fire with the National Liberation Army, the nation’s largest remaining rebel group, and also set up a committee that will decide how community groups will participate in peace talks with that group.
The FARC-EMC are a splinter group of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC. The splinter group refused to join a 2016 peace deal between the main FARC group and the government, in which more than 12,000 fighters laid down their guns.
The group is believed to have around 3,000 fighters and has recently been active in southwest Colombia, as well as in the provinces of Arauca and North Santander, on the nation’s eastern border with Venezuela.
Talks between the government and FARC-EMC will begin on Oct. 8 in Tibu, a municipality on Colombia’s eastern border that has long been affected by fighting between the government, drug cartels, and rebel groups.
FARC-EMC negotiators said Tuesday that their group will not interfere in municipal elections that will be held across the country at the end of October, and invited citizens in areas under the group’s influence to participate “freely” in the vote.
The government and the rebel group also issued a joint statement which said that the peace talks will seek to “dignify” the living conditions of Colombians who have “ been victims social inequalities and armed confrontation.”
This will be the second cease-fire between the government and the FARC-EMC in less than a year. A previous ceasefire began in December of last year, but broke down in May after the rebel group executed four indigenous teenagers who had escaped from one of the group’s camps in southern Colombia, after they were forcibly recruited.
veryGood! (53)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Officials open tuberculosis probe involving dozens of schools in Nevada’s most populous county
- More than 300 rescued from floodwaters in northeast Australia
- Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, the first woman to serve on the Supreme Court, to lie in repose
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Southwest Airlines reaches $140 million settlement for December 2022 flight-canceling meltdown
- Austin heads to Israel as US urges transition to a more targeted approach in Gaza
- Attorneys for Kentucky woman seeking abortion withdraw lawsuit
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- SpaceX sued by environmental groups, again, claiming rockets harm critical Texas bird habitats
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- BP is the latest company to pause Red Sea shipments over fears of Houthi attacks
- People are leaving some neighborhoods because of floods, a new study finds
- 15 suspected drug smugglers killed in clash with Thai soldiers near Myanmar border, officials say
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- February 2023 in photos: USA TODAY's most memorable images
- Ravens vs. Jaguars Sunday Night Football highlights: Baltimore clinches AFC playoff berth
- BP is the latest company to pause Red Sea shipments over fears of Houthi attacks
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
A mysterious Secret Santa motivated students to raise thousands of dollars for those in need
Hong Kong’s activist publisher to stand trial this week under Beijing’s crackdown on dissidents
Pope says priests can bless same-sex unions, requests should not be subject to moral analysis
Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
February 2023 in photos: USA TODAY's most memorable images
Eagles QB Jalen Hurts questionable with illness; Darius Slay, two others out vs. Seahawks
Saddam Hussein's golden AK-47 goes on display for the first time ever in a U.K. museum