Current:Home > StocksWhite House renews calls on Congress to extend internet subsidy program -Capitatum
White House renews calls on Congress to extend internet subsidy program
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:43:40
The White House is pressing Congress to extend a subsidy program that helps one in six U.S. families afford internet and represents a key element of President Joe Biden’s promise to deliver reliable broadband service to every American household.
“For President Biden, internet is like water,” said Tom Perez, senior adviser and assistant to the president, on a call Monday with reporters. “It’s an essential public necessity that should be affordable and accessible to everyone.”
The Affordable Connectivity Program offers qualifying families discounts on their internet bills — $30 a month for most families and up to $75 a month for families on tribal lands. The one-time infusion of $14.2 billion for the program through the bipartisan infrastructure law is projected to run out of money at the end of April.
“Just as we wouldn’t turn off the water pipes in a moment like this, we should never turn off the high-speed internet that is the pipeline to opportunity and access to health care for so many people across this country,” Perez said.
The program has a wide swath of support from public interest groups, local- and state-level broadband officials, and big and small telecommunications providers.
“We were very aggressive in trying to assist our members with access to the program,” said Gary Johnson, CEO of Paul Bunyan Communications, a Minnesota-based internet provider. “Frankly, it was they have internet or not. It’s almost not a subsidy — it is enabling them to have internet at all.”
Paul Bunyan Communications, a member-owned broadband cooperative that serves households in north central Minnesota, is one of 1,700 participating internet service providers that began sending out notices last month indicating the program could expire without action from Congress.
“It seems to be a bipartisan issue — internet access and the importance of it,” Johnson said.
Indeed, the program serves nearly an equal number of households in Republican and Democratic congressional districts, according to an AP analysis.
Biden has likened his promise of affordable internet for all American households to the New Deal-era effort to provide electricity to much of rural America. Congress approved $65 billion for several broadband-related investments, including the ACP, in 2021 as part of a bipartisan infrastructure law. He traveled to North Carolina last month to tout its potential benefits, especially in wide swaths of the country that currently lack access to reliable, affordable internet service.
Beyond the immediate impact to enrolled families, the expiration of the ACP could have a ripple effect on the impact of other federal broadband investments and could erode trust between consumers and their internet providers.
A bipartisan group of lawmakers recently proposed a bill to sustain the ACP through the end of 2024 with an additional $7 billion in funding — a billion more than Biden asked Congress to appropriate for the program at the end of last year. However, no votes have been scheduled to move the bill forward, and it’s unclear if the program will be prioritized in a divided Congress.
___
Harjai reported from Los Angeles and is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (64)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Terrence Shannon Jr. powers Illinois to Elite Eight amid controversy
- Unsung North Dakota State transfer leads Alabama past North Carolina and into the Elite 8
- Nebraska approves Malcolm X Day, honoring civil rights leader born in Omaha 99 years ago
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- New trial denied for ‘Rust’ armorer convicted in fatal shooting of cinematographer by Alec Baldwin
- Rebel Wilson lost her virginity at 35. That's nothing to be ashamed about.
- The Moscow concert massacre was a major security blunder. What’s behind that failure?
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Flying during the solar eclipse? These airports could see delays, FAA says
Ranking
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- North Carolina State keeps March Madness run going with defeat of Marquette to reach Elite Eight
- Christine Quinn Makes First Public Appearance Since Estranged Husband's Arrest
- Messi injury update: Out for NYCFC match. Will Inter Miami star be ready for Monterrey?
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- James Madison moves quickly, hires Preston Spradlin as new men's basketball coach
- Messi injury update: Out for NYCFC match. Will Inter Miami star be ready for Monterrey?
- New image reveals Milky Way's black hole is surrounded by powerful twisted magnetic fields, astronomers say
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Mississippi’s ‘The W’ offers scholarships to students at soon-to-close Birmingham Southern
Maryland to receive initial emergency relief funding of $60 million for Key Bridge collapse cleanup
Powell says Fed wants to see ‘more good inflation readings’ before it can cut rates
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Connecticut will try to do what nobody has done in March Madness: Stop Illinois star Terrence Shannon
US judge in Nevada hands wild horse advocates rare victory in ruling on mustang management plans
LSU star and Baltimore native Angel Reese on bridge collapse: 'I'm praying for Baltimore'