Current:Home > ContactExecutor of O.J. Simpson’s estate plans to fight payout to the families of Brown and Goldman -Capitatum
Executor of O.J. Simpson’s estate plans to fight payout to the families of Brown and Goldman
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 05:22:56
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The executor of O.J. Simpson’s estate says he will work to prevent a payout of a $33.5 million judgment awarded by a California civil jury nearly three decades ago in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the families of Simpson’s ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman.
Simpson’s will was filed Friday in a Clark County court in Nevada, naming his longtime lawyer, Malcolm LaVergne, as the executor. The document shows Simpson’s property was placed into a trust that was created this year.
LaVergne told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the entirety of Simpson’s estate has not been tallied. Under Nevada law, an estate must go through the courts if its assets exceed $20,000.
Simpson died Wednesday without having paid the lion’s share of the civil judgment that was awarded in 1997 after jurors found him liable. With his assets set to go through the court probate process, the Goldman and Brown families could be in line to get paid a piece of whatever Simpson left behind.
LaVergne, who had represented Simpson since 2009, said he specifically didn’t want the Goldman family seeing any money from Simpson’s estate.
“It’s my hope that the Goldmans get zero, nothing,” he told the Review-Journal. “Them specifically. And I will do everything in my capacity as the executor or personal representative to try and ensure that they get nothing.”
LaVergne did not immediately return phone and email messages left by The Associated Press on Saturday.
Although the Brown and Goldman families have pushed for payment, LaVergne said there was never a court order forcing Simpson to pay the civil judgment. The attorney told the Review-Journal that his particular ire at the Goldman family stemmed in part from the events surrounding Simpson’s planned book, titled “If I Did It.” Goldman’s family won control of the manuscript and retitled the book “If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer.”
Simpson earned fame and fortune through football and show business, but his legacy was forever changed by the June 1994 knife slayings of his ex-wife and her friend in Los Angeles. He was acquitted of criminal charges in 1995 in a trial that mesmerized the public.
Goldman’s father Fred Goldman, the lead plaintiff, always said the issue was never the money, it was only about holding Simpson responsible. And he said in a statement Thursday that with Simpson’s death, “the hope for true accountability has ended.”
The Goldman and Brown families will be on at least equal footing with other creditors and will probably have an even stronger claim, as Simpson’s estate is settled under terms established by the trust created in January. The will lists his four children and notes that any beneficiary who seeks to challenge provisions of the will “shall receive, free of trust, one dollar ($1.00) and no more in lieu of any claimed interest in this will or its assets.”
Simpson said he lived only on his NFL and private pensions. Hundreds of valuable possessions had been seized as part of the jury award, and Simpson was forced to auction his Heisman Trophy, fetching $230,000.
veryGood! (973)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Longtime ESPN reporter, NFL insider Chris Mortensen reveals he has retired from TV network
- Ukraine's counteroffensive brings heavy casualties as families contend with grief, loss
- Capitol physician says no evidence McConnell has seizure disorder, stroke, Parkinson's
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Horoscopes Today, September 3, 2023
- Timeline of events leading to the impeachment of Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton
- Wet summer grants big cities in hydro-powered Norway 2 days of free electricity
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Revisiting Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner's Love Story Will Have You Sending Out an S.O.S
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- A three-judge panel has blocked Alabama’s congressional districts, ordering new lines drawn
- Gary Wright, 'Dream Weaver' and 'Love is Alive' singer, dies at 80 after health battle: Reports
- 'Holly' review: Stephen King's ace detective takes a star role in freaky thriller
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Four men die in crash of pickup trucks on rural Michigan road, police say
- New book details Biden-Obama frictions and says Harris sought roles ‘away from the spotlight’
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expected to meet with Putin
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
University of Arkansas gets $2.5 million grant to study exercise and aging
The next presidential campaign is coming into focus. It might look a lot like the last one.
Brian Kelly calls LSU a 'total failure' after loss to Florida State. No argument here
USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
Fire destroys bowling alley in North Dakota town
Clear skies expected to aid 'exodus' after rain, mud strands thousands: Burning Man updates
Domestic violence charges dropped against Arizona Coyotes minority owner Andrew Barroway