Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:Pentagon considering plea deals for defendants in 9/11 attacks -Capitatum
Fastexy:Pentagon considering plea deals for defendants in 9/11 attacks
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 05:23:00
The Fastexysuspected mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people could escape the death penalty —along with four of his accused plotters— under a plea agreement being considered, CBS News has learned.
The Pentagon sent a letter this week to families of 9/11 victims revealing plea deals are being considered in which the five men, including suspected mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, would "accept criminal responsibility for their actions and plead guilty....in exchange for not receiving the death penalty."
The letter generated fresh outrage in Kristen Breitweiser, whose husband died in the South Tower of the World Trade Center. She has waited years to see the five men face trial.
"It's more heartbroken," Breitweiser told CBS News. "...I thought I lived in the United States of America. I thought we were a nation based upon the rule of law. And obviously, that's turned out not to be the case."
The five 9/11 defendants were held by the CIA before being transferred to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in 2006.
The prosecution of the defendants at Guantanamo Bay, which would be held in military tribunals, has been delayed for years, mainly complicated by the CIA's interrogation of the suspects that critics called "torture," and questions over whether the evidence extracted during those interrogations is admissible in court.
A defense lawyer for Ammar al-Baluchi, one of the accused plotters, told CBS News last year that a plea deal would end the impasse.
"He is willing to plead guilty, serve a long sentence at Guantanamo, in exchange for medical care for his torture, and taking the death penalty off the table," defense lawyer James Connell said in September 2022.
That doesn't satisfy Brad Blakeman, who lost his nephew Tommy Jurgen in the World Trade Center.
"We were told, and we were promised, that we would bring these people responsible to justice and we expect that to happen," Blakeman said.
If a plea deal goes ahead, and the 9/11 defendants get lengthy sentences, there's a law in place that prevents their transfer to U.S. soil and federal custody. That means the Guantanamo prison could remain open indefinitely.
Over the years, there have been proposals to move the trials from military tribunals to civilian court. However, that idea has faced strong resistance in Congress over concerns about security and the costs of moving defendants out of Guantanamo Bay.
— Catherine Herridge contributed to this report.
- In:
- Khalid Sheik Mohammed
- 9/11
Scott MacFarlane is a congressional correspondent for CBS News, reporting for all CBS News broadcasts and platforms.
TwitterveryGood! (2195)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Pastor disciplined after pop singer Sabrina Carpenter uses NYC church for provocative music video
- Burning Man narrowly passes environmental inspection months after torrential rain upended festival
- Love dogs? This company says it has the secret to longer life for larger canines.
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Check your child’s iPhone for this new feature: The warning police are issuing to parents
- Pope Francis says he's 'not well' amid public audience after canceling Dubai trip
- Putting the 80/20 rule to the test
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Vice President Harris will attend COP28 climate conference in Dubai
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Shannen Doherty Details Horrible Reaction After Brain Tumor Surgery
- Virginia man dies in wood chipper accident after being pulled head-first
- Mark Cuban says he's leaving Shark Tank after one more season
- 'Most Whopper
- Kylie Jenner Got a Golden Ticket to Timothée Chalamet's Wonka Premiere After-Party
- Electric vehicles have almost 80% more problems than gas-powered ones, Consumer Reports says
- Winter Olympics set to return to Salt Lake City in 2034 as IOC enters talks
Recommendation
US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
College Football Player Reed Ryan Dead At 22
Permanent parking: Man sentenced to life in prison for murdering neighbor over parking spot
Virginia man dies in wood chipper accident after being pulled head-first
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
US Navy warship shoots down drone launched by Houthis from Yemen, official says
Recall: Jeep Wrangler 4xe SUVs recalled because of fire risk
Colombian judge orders prison for 2 suspects in the kidnapping of parents of Liverpool soccer player