Current:Home > StocksPredictIQ-Protesters in Cuba decry power outages, food shortages -Capitatum
PredictIQ-Protesters in Cuba decry power outages, food shortages
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:31:08
Small groups of protesters took to the streets in the eastern city of Santiago on Sunday, decrying power outages lasting up to eight hours and food shortages across Cuba.
Videos on social media showed demonstrators on the outskirts of the city, which is about 800 kilometers (500 miles) from Havana.
State media confirmed the protests in Santiago, while the U.S. Embassy in Havana said there were also reports of protests in a number of other provinces across the island. Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel also referred to protests in a social media post, though he did not specify where they occurred.
In reporting on events in Santiago, the government-linked news organization El Necio said, "Due to the long hours of power outages from lack of fuel and other situations arising from the current economic crisis, several people took to the streets" to protest.
Cuba is facing one of the worst economic and energy crises in its history. Waves of blackouts have grown worse in recent weeks, adding to frustrations over food shortages and inflation that have made it increasingly difficult to make ends meet on the communist-governed island. Hundreds of thousands of people have migrated, with many headed to the United States.
Videos showing people chanting "Electricity and food" were quickly shared by Cubans on and off the island on platforms like X and Facebook.
One person, who spoke to The Associated Press in a phone call from Santiago on condition their name not be used, said internet service in the area was shut off after the demonstrations. Several users on the social network X also reported internet outages in Santiago.
In recent years, the internet has become an important tool in Cuba to facilitate and distribute news of protests against the government, but it has also been used to spread false information about supposed protests.
It was most notably used during mass demonstrations in 2021 that saw the arrests of some demonstrators and mass internet outages. Those protests were also triggered by power and food shortages.
In the evening, Cuba's president accused anti-government "terrorists" that he said were located in the United States of inciting the protests, saying they were "encouraging actions against the internal order of the country."
"Several people have expressed their dissatisfaction with the situation of the electricity service and food distribution. This context is being exploited by the enemies of the Revolution in order to destabilize" the government, Díaz-Canel wrote on X.
The U.S. Embassy urged the Cuban government to respect the protests in a post on its Facebook page. "We are aware of reports of peaceful protests in Santiago, Bayamo, Granma and elsewhere in Cuba," it said. "We urge the Cuban government to respect the human rights of the protesters and attend to the legitimate needs of the Cuban people."
Earlier in the day, Beatriz Jhonson Urrutia, secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba in Santiago, showed up at the protests in that city to "have a dialogue with the people and hear their complaints," El Necio said. Police were also present but there were no reports of arrests or violence.
Images and videos of purported protests in Cuba were spread around social media in recent days. Some were images from older protests or from other countries, and AP could not independently confirm whether the others were authentic.
- In:
- Cuba
- Protests
- Power Outage
veryGood! (4321)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- These Amazon Top-Rated Fall Wedding Guest Dresses Are All Under $60 Right Now
- Whoa! 'Golden Bachelorette' first impression fails, including that runaway horse
- 80-year-old man dies trying to drive through flooded North Carolina road
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Sorry, Batman. Colin Farrell's 'sinister' gangster takes flight in HBO's 'The Penguin'
- Elle King Addresses Relationship With Dad Rob Schneider Amid Viral Feud
- Check Up on ER 30 Years Later With These Shocking Secrets
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- The Bachelorette’s Devin Strader Breaks Silence on Past Legal Troubles
Ranking
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Check Up on ER 30 Years Later With These Shocking Secrets
- Which 0-2 NFL teams still have hope? Ranking all nine by playoff viability
- WNBA playoffs bracket: Final standings, seeds, matchups, first round schedule
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Shohei Ohtani becomes the first major league player with 50 homers, 50 stolen bases in a season
- The cause of a fire that injured 2 people at a Louisiana chemical plant remains under investigation
- Shohei Ohtani becomes the first major league player with 50 homers, 50 stolen bases in a season
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
California governor signs package of bills giving state more power to enforce housing laws
Trial of man who killed 10 at Colorado supermarket turns to closing arguments
Voters split on whether Harris or Trump would do a better job on the economy: AP-NORC poll
Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
Apple releases iOS 18 update for iPhone: Customizations, Messages, other top changes
Detroit Red Wings, Moritz Seider agree to 7-year deal worth $8.55 million per season
'Hero' 12-year-old boy shot and killed bear as it attacked his father in Wisconsin, report says