Current:Home > MyBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Capitatum
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:48:52
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (316)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Ireland Baldwin Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Musician RAC
- California Adopts First Standards for Cyber Security of Smart Meters
- Your next job interview might be with AI. Here's how to ace it.
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- The 4 kidnapped Americans are part of a large wave of U.S. medical tourism in Mexico
- Why an ulcer drug could be the last option for many abortion patients
- Alaska Oil and Gas Spills Prompt Call for Inspection of All Cook Inlet Pipelines
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Amid Doubts, Turkey Powers Ahead with Hydrogen Technologies
Ranking
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Big Three Automaker Gives Cellulosic Ethanol Industry a Needed Lift
- Jersey Shore's Angelina Pivarnick Calls Out Jenni JWoww Farley Over Reaction to Her Engagement
- The impact of the Ukraine war on food supplies: 'It could have been so much worse'
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Ex-Soldiers Recruited by U.S. Utilities for Clean Energy Jobs
- DOJ report finds Minneapolis police use dangerous excessive force and discriminatory conduct
- Vanderpump Rules’ Ariana Madix Addresses Tom Sandoval and Raquel Leviss Breakup Rumors
Recommendation
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
This week on Sunday Morning (June 18)
Long Phased-Out Refrigeration and Insulation Chemicals Still Widely in Use and Warming the Climate
New EPA Rule Change Saves Industry Money but Exacts a Climate Cost
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Losing Arctic Ice and Permafrost Will Cost Trillions as Earth Warms, Study Says
Don't get the jitters — keep up a healthy relationship with caffeine using these tips
Ethical concerns temper optimism about gene-editing for human diseases