Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|11 ex-police officers get 50 years in prison for massacre near U.S. border in Mexico -Capitatum
Chainkeen|11 ex-police officers get 50 years in prison for massacre near U.S. border in Mexico
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 20:17:33
A court in Mexico sentenced 11 former police officers to 50 years in prison each for the 2021 slayings of 17 migrants and Chainkeentwo Mexican citizens, authorities said Tuesday.
The ex-officers were convicted earlier this year of homicide and abuse of authority. A 12th officer was convicted only of abuse of authority and sentenced to 19 years in prison, said Assistant Public Safety Secretary Luis Rodríguez Bucio.
The officers were members of an elite police group in the northern state of Tamaulipas, across the border from Texas.
They had initially argued they were responding to shots fired and believed they were chasing the vehicles of one of the country's drug cartels, which frequently participate in migrant smuggling.
The officers were accused of burning the victims' bodies in an attempt to cover up the crime. The bodies were found piled in a charred pickup truck in Camargo, across the Rio Grande from Texas, in an area that has been bloodied for years by turf battles between the remnants of the Gulf cartel and the old Zetas cartel.
Most of the dead migrants were from rural, Indigenous farming communities in Guatemala. Relatives said they lost contact with 13 of the migrants as they traveled toward the U.S.
The truck holding the bodies had 113 bullet holes, but authorities were confused by the fact that almost no spent shell casings were found at the scene. It later came out that the state police officers involved in the killings knew their shell casings might give them away, so they apparently picked them up.
The officers were members of the 150-member Special Operations Group, known in Spanish as GOPES, an elite state police unit that, under another name, had previously been implicated in other human rights abuses. The unit has since been disbanded.
So fearsome was the unit's reputation that the U.S. government, which trained a few of its individual members, sought at the time to distance itself from the force.
The U.S. embassy in Mexico said in 2021 that three of the 12 officers charged in the migrant massacre "received basic skills and/or first line supervisor training" through a State Department program before they were assigned to the special unit. "The training of these individuals took place in 2016 and 2017 and were fully compliant" with rules on vetting over human rights concerns, the embassy said.
The killings revived memories of the gruesome 2010 massacre of 72 migrants near the town of San Fernando in the same gang-ridden state. But those killings were done by a drug cartel.
- In:
- Mexico
- Homicide
- U.S.-Mexico Border
- Crime
veryGood! (83)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Tristan Thompson and His Brother Moved in With Her After His Mom's Death
- Actor Kevin Spacey is acquitted in the U.K. on sexual assault charges
- Katie Ledecky breaks Michael Phelps' record for most individual world titles
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Whoopi Goldberg Defends Barbie Movie From Critics of Greta Gerwig Film
- They put food on our tables but live in the shadows. This man is fighting to be seen
- Food truck owner gets 2 years in prison for $1.5M pandemic relief loan fraud
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Army fire kills a 14-year-old, Palestinians say, as an Israeli minister visits flashpoint mosque
Ranking
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- Mega Millions lottery jackpot nears $1B ahead of Friday drawing
- Texas Congressman Greg Casar holds hunger and thirst strike to call for federal workplace heat standard
- Shedeur Sanders speaks on Colorado Buffaloes meshing, family ties at local youth event
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Beyoncé's Mom Tina Knowles Files for Divorce From Richard Lawson After 8 Years of Marriage
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom offers to help negotiate Hollywood strike
- Mega Millions jackpot hits $1 billion mark after no winners in Friday's drawing
Recommendation
Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
Damar Hamlin is at training camp months after cardiac arrest: A full go, Bills coach says
Watch the heartwarming moment Ohio police reunite missing 3-year-old with loved ones
Manslaughter charges dropped against 7 Oklahoma police officers
Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
NATO will step up security in Black Sea region after Russia declares parts are unsafe for shipping
Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh shows again he can't get out of own way with latest misstep
Shedeur Sanders speaks on Colorado Buffaloes meshing, family ties at local youth event