Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Remains of Michigan soldier killed in 1950 during Korean War have been identified, military says -Capitatum
Indexbit-Remains of Michigan soldier killed in 1950 during Korean War have been identified, military says
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 08:02:41
GRANT,Indexbit Mich. (AP) — The remains of a 17-year-old soldier from Michigan who was killed in the Korean War in 1950 have been identified and will be buried in his home state, military officials said.
U.S. Army Pfc. Thomas A. Smith’s remains were identified in September by military scientists who analyzed DNA, dental and anthropological evidence, the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced Tuesday.
Smith, who was from Grant, Michigan, will be buried in that western Michigan city at a date that has yet to be determined, the agency said.
Smith was 17 when on Aug. 2, 1950, he was reported missing in action when his unit took part in “defensive action near Chinju at the southern end of the Korean peninsula,” the DPAA said. His remains could not be recovered and the Army issued a presumptive finding of death for him in late 1953.
The remains recently identified as Smith’s were recovered in late 1950 near the village of Hwagye, South Korea, by the U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps but could not be identified. In 1956, they were buried in Honolulu at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, known as the Punchbowl, with other unidentified service members who died in the Korean War.
In March 2019, Smith’s remains were disinterred and sent to the DPAA laboratory for analysis.
A rosette will be placed next to Smith’s name at the Courts of the Missing at the Punchbowl to indicate he has been accounted for.
veryGood! (599)
Related
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Man, woman arrested in connection to dead baby found in Florida trash bin
- Michigan prosecutor on why she embarked on landmark trials of school shooter's parents
- Boeing plane found to have missing panel after flight from California to southern Oregon
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Top remaining NFL free agents: Ranking the 25 best players still available
- Cara Delevingne's LA home, featured in Architectural Digest tour, consumed by 'heavy' fire
- Sam Bankman-Fried deserves 40 to 50 years in prison for historic cryptocurrency fraud, prosecutors say
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Michigan suspends defensive line coach Gregg Scruggs following drunk driving arrest
Ranking
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Meet the underdogs who overcame significant obstacles to become one of the world's top dog-sledding teams
- Colorado man bitten by pet Gila monster died of complications from the desert lizard’s venom
- Judge delays Trump’s hush-money criminal trial until mid-April, citing last-minute evidence dump
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- Watch as staff at Virginia wildlife center dress up as a fox to feed orphaned kit
- Jimmy Garoppolo signs one-year contract with Los Angeles Rams, per reports
- What we know so far about 'Love is Blind' Season 7: Release date, cast, location
Recommendation
$1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
Aaron Donald was a singularly spectacular player. The NFL will never see another like him.
Meteorologists say this year’s warm winter provided key ingredient for Midwest killer tornadoes
Coroner’s probe reveals Los Angeles maintenance man was Washington rape suspect believed long dead
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
McDonald's experiences tech outages worldwide, impacting some restaurants
New bill seeks to strengthen bribery statute after Sen. Menendez accused of taking gold bars, cash for official acts
Michigan suspends defensive line coach Gregg Scruggs following drunk driving arrest