Current:Home > FinanceFormer Marine sentenced to 9 years in prison for firebombing California Planned Parenthood clinic -Capitatum
Former Marine sentenced to 9 years in prison for firebombing California Planned Parenthood clinic
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 06:43:25
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — A former U.S. Marine was sentenced Monday to nine years in prison for firebombing a Southern California Planned Parenthood clinic in 2022, federal prosecutors prosecutors said.
Chance Brannon, 24, pleaded guilty in November to four felony counts, including malicious destruction of property by fire and explosives and intentional damage to a reproductive health services facility,
Brannon, of San Juan Capistrano, California, also admitted that he made plans for additional attacks on a second Planned Parenthood clinic, a Southern California Edison substation and an LGBTQ pride night celebration at Dodger Stadium, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said in a statement.
Brannon was an active-duty Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton at the time of the bombing at the clinic in Costa Mesa on March 13, 2022. Surveillance footage showed Brannon and another person throwing a Molotov cocktail at the front door of the medical facility. The clinic was closed at the time and no one was injured.
During the sentencing hearing, U.S. District Judge Cormac J. Carney said Brannon “engaged in cruel and indefensible domestic terrorism.”
He has been in federal custody since his arrest in June 2023.
Brannon conspired with two others to use an explosive device to destroy a commercial property, according to his plea agreement.
His co-defendants, Tibet Ergul and Xavier Batten, have pleaded guilty to the charges against them. They are scheduled to be sentenced in May.
veryGood! (35927)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Phoenix weathers 100 days of 100-plus degree temps as heat scorches western US
- The Fed welcomes a ‘soft landing’ even if many Americans don’t feel like cheering
- Nation's largest Black Protestant denomination faces high-stakes presidential vote
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Mexico finds the devil is in the details with laws against gender-based attacks on women politicians
- On Labor Day, think of the children working graveyard shifts right under our noses
- Prosecutors balk at Trump’s bid to delay post-conviction hush money rulings
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- 'One Tree Hill' reboot in development at Netflix with Sophia Bush, Hilarie Burton set to return
Ranking
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Sheryl Swoopes fires back at Nancy Lieberman in Caitlin Clark dispute
- 1 dead, 2 missing after boat crashes in Connecticut River
- Florida's Billy Napier dismisses criticism from 'some guy in his basement'
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- NFL hot seat rankings: Mike McCarthy, Nick Sirianni among coaches already on notice
- A man is killed and an officer shot as police chase goes from Illinois to Indiana and back
- US Open: Jessica Pegula reaches her 7th Grand Slam quarterfinal. She is 0-6 at that stage so far
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Nikki Garcia Attends First Public Event Following Husband Artem Chigvintsev’s Arrest
Do smartphone bans work if parents push back?
South Carolina Is Considered a Model for ‘Managed Retreat’ From Coastal Areas Threatened by Climate Change
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
3 missing in Connecticut town after boating accident
Team USA's Rebecca Hart, Fiona Howard win gold in Paralympics equestrian
US government seizes plane used by Venezuelan president, citing sanctions violations