Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|George Carlin estate files lawsuit, says AI comedy special creators 'flout common decency' -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|George Carlin estate files lawsuit, says AI comedy special creators 'flout common decency'
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:57:21
LOS ANGELES — The Benjamin Ashfordestate of George Carlin has filed a lawsuit against the media company behind a fake hourlong comedy special that purportedly uses artificial intelligence to recreate the late standup comic's style and material.
The lawsuit filed in federal court in Los Angeles on Thursday asks that a judge order the podcast outlet, Dudesy, to immediately take down the audio special, "George Carlin: I'm Glad I'm Dead," in which a synthesis of Carlin, who died in 2008, delivers commentary on current events.
Carlin's daughter, Kelly Carlin, said in a statement that the work is "a poorly-executed facsimile cobbled together by unscrupulous individuals to capitalize on the extraordinary goodwill my father established with his adoring fanbase."
The Carlin estate and its executor, Jerold Hamza, are named as plaintiffs in the suit, which alleges violations of Carlin's right of publicity and copyright. The named defendants are Dudesy and podcast hosts Will Sasso and Chad Kultgen.
George Carlinbrought back to life in AI-generated comedy special
"None of the Defendants had permission to use Carlin's likeness for the AI-generated' George Carlin Special,' nor did they have a license to use any of the late comedian's copyrighted materials," the lawsuit says.
The defendants have not filed a response to the lawsuit and it was not clear whether they have retained an attorney. They could not immediately be reached for comment.
George Carlin AI comedy special: Were copyrights violated?
At the beginning of the special posted on YouTube on Jan. 9, a voiceover identifying itself as the AI engine used by Dudesy says it listened to the comic's 50 years of material and "did my best to imitate his voice, cadence and attitude as well as the subject matter I think would have interested him today."
The plaintiffs say if that was in fact how it was created — and some listeners have doubted its stated origins — it means Carlin's copyright was violated.
The company, as it often does on similar projects, also released a podcast episode with Sasso and Kultgen introducing and commenting on the mock Carlin.
Taylor Swiftsexually explicit AI images circulate online, prompt backlash
"What we just listened to, was that passable," Kultgen says in a section of the episode cited in the lawsuit.
"Yeah, that sounded exactly like George Carlin," Sasso responds.
The lawsuit is among the first in what is likely to be an increasing number of major legal moves made to fight the regenerated use of celebrity images and likenesses.
The AI issue was a major sticking point in the resolution of last year's Hollywood writers and actors strikes.
Josh Schiller, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said in a statement that the "case is not just about AI, it's about the humans that use AI to violate the law, infringe on intellectual property rights, and flout common decency."
SAG-AFTRA is worried about AI,but can it really replace actors? It already has.
veryGood! (42614)
Related
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- NBA great Jerry West wasn't just the logo. He was an ally for Black players
- In-N-Out raises California prices of Double-Double after minimum wage law
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs returns key to New York City in response to video of him attacking singer Cassie
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Run, Don’t Walk to Anthropologie to Save an Extra 40% off Their Sale Full of Cute Summer Dresses & More
- More bottles of cherries found at George Washington's Mount Vernon home in spectacular discovery
- Couple rescued from desert near California’s Joshua Tree National Park after running out of water
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- NY governor’s subway mask ban proposal sparks debate over right to anonymous protest
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- NY governor’s subway mask ban proposal sparks debate over right to anonymous protest
- Malfunctioning steam room sets off alarm, prompts evacuation at Rhode Island YMCA
- Taylor Swift says Eras Tour will end in December
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Rome LGBTQ+ Pride parade celebrates 30th anniversary, makes fun of Pope Francis comments
- Victim identified in Southern California homicide case, 41 years after her remains were found
- Judge rejects religious leaders’ challenge of Missouri abortion ban
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
How Elon Musk’s $44.9B Tesla pay package compares with the most generous plans for other U.S. CEOs
A man died after falling into a manure tanker at a New York farm. A second man who tried to help also fell in and died.
MLB disciplines top-rated umpire Pat Hoberg for violating gambling policy; Hoberg appealing
Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
Who are hot rodent men of the summer? Meet the internet's favorite type of celebrity
Q&A: Choked by Diesel Pollution From Generators, Cancer Rates in Beirut Surge by 30 Percent
Treasure trove recovered from ancient shipwrecks 5,000 feet underwater in South China Sea