Current:Home > NewsUN sets December deadline for its peacekeepers in Congo to completely withdraw -Capitatum
UN sets December deadline for its peacekeepers in Congo to completely withdraw
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 08:10:26
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo, which helped in the fight against rebels for more than two decades before being asked by the Congolese government to leave, will complete its withdrawal from the Central African nation by the end of 2024, the mission said Saturday.
A three-phased withdrawal of the 15,000-force will begin in the South Kivu province where at least 2,000 security personnel will leave by the end of April in the first phase, according to Bintou Keita, head of the mission known as MONUSCO, after which forces in the North Kivu and Ituri provinces will also leave.
“After 25 years of presence, MONUSCO will definitively leave the DRC no later than the end of 2024,” Keita said at a media briefing in the Congolese capital of Kinshasa. The end of the mission will not be “the end of the United Nations” in the country, she added.
The U.N. and Congolese officials worked together to produce a disengagement plan for “a progressive, responsible, honorable and exemplary withdrawal of MONUSCO,” Congolese Foreign Minister Christophe Lutundula said. Modalities have also been set for “the gradual transfer of tasks from MONUSCO to Congolese government,” Lutundula added.
The MONUSCO force arrived in Congo in 2010 after taking over from an earlier U.N. peacekeeping mission to protect civilians and humanitarian personnel and to support the Congolese government in its stabilization and peace consolidation efforts.
However, frustrated Congolese say that no one is protecting them from rebel attacks, leading to protests against the U.N. mission and others that have at times turned deadly.
Over the years of its existence, eastern Congo continues to be ravaged by more than 120 armed groups seeking a share of the region’s resources such as gold and trying to protect their communities, some of them quietly backed by Congo’s neighbors. The violence is occasioned by rampant mass killings and has displaced nearly 7 million people.
The Congolese government — which has just been reelected in a disputed vote — requested the U.N. mission to leave the country after claiming the security collaboration “has proved its limits in a context of permanent war, without the longed-for peace being restored to eastern Congo.” The government has also directed an East African regional force, deployed last year to help end the fighting, to leave the country for similar reasons.
veryGood! (41)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Champion Boxer Andrew Tham Dead at 28 In Motorcycle Crash
- Woman in Michigan police standoff dies after being struck with ‘less lethal round’
- Macaulay Culkin Shares Rare Message on Complicated Relationship With Fatherhood
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- What happened to Eric Bolling? Here's what to know about the Newsmax anchor's exit
- RHONY's Jill Zarin Reveals Why She Got a Facelift and Other Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Mega Millions winning numbers for June 4 drawing: Jackpot won at $560 million
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Boeing Starliner launch livestream: Watch as NASA sends 2 astronauts to ISS
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- LeBron James 'mad' he's not Kyrie Irving's running mate any longer
- Political consultant behind fake Biden robocalls posts bail on first 6 of 26 criminal charges
- Boeing's Starliner capsule finally launches, carries crew into space for first piloted test flight
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- King Charles III gives thanks to D-Day veterans during event with Prince William, Queen Camilla
- How James Patterson completed Michael Crichton's Eruption
- A court ruled embryos are children. These Christian couples agree yet wrestle with IVF choices
Recommendation
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Dog left in U-Haul at least 100 degrees inside while owners went to Florida beach: See video of rescue
Jennie Garth’s Daughter Fiona Looks All Grown Up in Prom Photos
Fewer candidates filed for election in Hawaii this year than in the past 10 years
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Jennie Garth and Peter Facinelli Address Their Divorce for the First Time in 12 Years
Taylor Swift Defends Lady Gaga From Invasive & Irresponsible Body Comments
Key figure at Detroit riverfront nonprofit charged with embezzling millions