Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:Australian safety watchdog fines social platform X $385,000 for not tackling child abuse content -Capitatum
Surpassing:Australian safety watchdog fines social platform X $385,000 for not tackling child abuse content
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 03:58:36
CANBERRA,Surpassing Australia (AP) — Australia’s online safety watchdog said on Monday it had fined X — the social media platform formerly known as Twitter — 610,500 Australian dollars ($385,000) for failing to fully explain how it tackled child sexual exploitation content.
Australia’s eSafety Commission describes itself as the world’s first government agency dedicated to keeping people safe online.
The commission issued legal transparency notices early this year to X and other platforms questioning what they were doing to tackle a proliferation of child sexual exploitation, sexual extortion and the livestreaming of child sexual abuse.
eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said X and Google had not complied with the notices because both companies had failed to adequately respond to a number of questions.
The platform renamed X by its new owner Elon Musk was the worst offender, providing no answers to some questions including how many staff remained on the trust and safety team that worked on preventing harmful and illegal content since Musk took over, Inman Grant said.
“I think there’s a degree of defiance there,” Inman Grant said.
“If you’ve got a basic H.R. (human resources) system or payroll, you’ll know how many people are on each team,” she added.
X did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
After Musk completed his acquisition of the company in October last year, he drastically cut costs and shed thousands of jobs.
X could challenge the fine in the Australian Federal Court. But the court could impose a fine of up to AU$780,000 ($493,402) per day since March when the commission first found the platform had not complied with the transparency notice.
The commission would continue to pressure X through notices to become more transparent, Inman Grant said.
“They can keep stonewalling and we’ll keep fining them,” she said.
The commission issued Google with a formal warning for providing “generic responses to specific questions,” a statement said.
Google regional director Lucinda Longcroft said the company had developed a range of technologies to proactively detect, remove and report child sexual abuse material.
“Protecting children on our platforms is the most important work we do,” Longcroft said in a statement. “Since our earliest days we have invested heavily in the industrywide fight to stop the spread of child sexual abuse material,” she added.
veryGood! (88313)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Missing the Emmy Awards? What’s happening with the strike-delayed celebration of television
- New Mexico governor amends controversial temporary gun ban, now targets parks, playgrounds
- Man shot by police dies following car chase in Rhode Island, teen daughter wounded
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Dodgers win NL West for 10th time in 11 seasons
- Mood upbeat along picket lines as U.S. auto strike enters its second day
- Lee makes landfall in Canada with impacts felt in New England: Power outages, downed trees
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- California lawsuit says oil giants deceived public on climate, seeks funds for storm damage
Ranking
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- US: Mexico extradites Ovidio Guzmán López, son of Sinaloa cartel leader ‘El Chapo,’ to United States
- A Fracker in Pennsylvania Wants to Take 1.5 Million Gallons a Day From a Small, Biodiverse Creek. Should the State Approve a Permit?
- Texas AG Ken Paxton is back on job after acquittal but Republicans aren’t done attacking each other
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Misery Index Week 3: Michigan State finds out it's facing difficult rebuild
- 1-year-old boy dead, 3 other children hospitalized after incident at Bronx day care
- South Korea’s Yoon warns against Russia-North Korea military cooperation and plans to discuss at UN
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Ashton Kutcher resigns from anti-child sex abuse nonprofit after supporting Danny Masterson
Twins manager Rocco Baldelli is going on leave to be with his wife for the birth of twins
Oregon launches legal psilocybin, known as magic mushrooms access to the public
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Gunmen kill a member of Iran’s paramilitary force and wound 3 others on protest anniversary
Snow, scorpions, Dr. Seuss: What Kenyan kids talked about with top U.S. kids' authors
Louisiana prisoner suit claims they’re forced to endure dangerous conditions at Angola prison farm