Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030 -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:48:23
SAN LUIS OBISPO,Ethermac Exchange Calif. (AP) — California energy regulators voted Thursday to allow the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant to operate for an additional five years, despite calls from environmental groups to shut it down.
The California Public Utilities Commission agreed to extend the shutdown date for the state’s last functioning nuclear power facility through 2030 instead of closing it in 2025 as previously agreed.
Separately, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission will consider whether to extend the plant’s operating licenses.
The twin reactors, located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, began operating in the mid-1980s. They supply up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
The Public Utilities Commission’s decision marks the latest development in a long fight over the operation and safety of the plant, which sits on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean.
In August, a state judge rejected a lawsuit filed by Friends of the Earth that sought to block Pacific Gas & Electric, which operates the plant, from seeking to extend its operating life.
And in October, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission rejected a request from environmental groups to immediately shut down one of two reactors.
PG&E agreed in 2016 to shutter the plant by 2025, but at the direction of the state changed course and now intends to seek a longer operating run for the plant, which doesn’t produce greenhouse gases that can contribute to climate change.
Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, who once was a leading voice to close the plant, said last year that Diablo Canyon’s power is needed beyond 2025 to ward off possible blackouts as California transitions to solar and other renewable energy sources.
Activists condemned the extension and noted that the projected costs of continuing to run the aging plant are expected to top $6 billion.
“This ill-conceived decision will further escalate financial strain on California ratepayers and extend the threat of a catastrophe at Diablo Canyon,” said Ken Cook, president of the nonprofit Environmental Working Group.
“With California’s annual renewable energy additions exceeding Diablo Canyon’s output, there is zero reason to keep it running,” he added in a statement.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- 'Most Whopper
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Ranking
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Recommendation
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
What to watch: O Jolie night
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected