Current:Home > reviewsEx-gang leader makes his bid in Las Vegas court for house arrest before trial in Tupac Shakur case -Capitatum
Ex-gang leader makes his bid in Las Vegas court for house arrest before trial in Tupac Shakur case
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 08:00:25
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A former Los Angeles-area gang leader charged with killing hip-hop music icon Tupac Shakur in 1996 in Las Vegas plans to ask a judge on Tuesday to release him to house arrest ahead of the trial in June.
Court-appointed lawyers for Duane “Keffe D” Davis say their 60-year-old client is in poor health, poses no danger to the community and won’t flee to avoid trial. They want the judge to set his bail at not more than $100,000.
Davis has pleaded not guilty to a murder charge and has remained jailed without bail since his arrest Sept. 29 outside his home in suburban Henderson, where Las Vegas police had served a search warrant in mid-July. He is the only person ever charged with a crime in the shooting that also wounded rap music mogul Marion “Suge” Knight.
Prosecutors allege in a court filing submitted last week that jail telephone recordings and a list of names provided to Davis’ family members show that there are witnesses at risk of harm if Davis was released.
They also called attention to Davis’ own words since 2008 — in police interviews, in his 2019 tell-all memoir and in the media — which provides strong evidence that he orchestrated the September 1996 drive-by shooting.
Knight, now 58, is serving 28 years in a California prison for an unrelated shooting that killed a Compton businessman in 2015.
Meanwhile Davis is being held at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas, where detainees’ phone calls are routinely recorded. If convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in a Nevada state prison.
In a recording of an October call, prosecutors say Davis’ son said the defendant gave a “green light” authorization to kill Shakur. Prosecutors Marc DiGiacomo and Binu Palal said federal authorities “stepped in and provided resources to at least (one witness) so he could change his residence.”
There is no reference in the court filing to Davis instructing anyone to harm someone, or to anyone associated with the case being physically harmed.
One of Davis’ defense attorneys, Robert Arroyo, told The Associated Press he did not see evidence that any witness had been named or threatened.
Davis is originally from Compton, California. He maintains that he was given immunity from prosecution in 2008 by FBI agents and Los Angeles police who were investigating both the killings of Shakur in Las Vegas and rival rapper Christopher Wallace, known as The Notorious B.I.G. or Biggie Smalls, in March 1997 in Los Angeles.
Davis’ attorneys argue that his descriptions of Shakur’s killing were “done for entertainment purposes and to make money.”
veryGood! (981)
Related
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Closing arguments in Vatican trial seek to expose problems in the city state’s legal system
- Hawaii’s governor wants to make it easier for travelers from Japan to visit the islands
- Judge says evidence shows Tesla and Elon Musk knew about flawed autopilot system
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- FDA warns about Neptune's Fix supplements after reports of seizures and hospitalizations
- Zach Edey's MVP performance leads No. 2 Purdue to Maui Invitational title
- Pennsylvania woman sentenced in DUI crash that killed 2 troopers and a pedestrian
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Search resumes for the missing after landslide leaves 3 dead in Alaska fishing community
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- 10 days after India tunnel collapse, medical camera offers glimpse of 41 men trapped inside awaiting rescue
- German police raid homes of 20 alleged supporters of far-right Reich Citizens scene
- Could IonQ become the next Nvidia?
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Brazil forward Rodrygo denounces racist abuse on social media after match against Argentina
- Brazilian police bust international drug mule ring in Sao Paulo
- The 15 Best Black Friday 2023 Tech Deals That Are Too Good to Be True: Bose, Apple & More
Recommendation
NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
World's richest 1% emitting enough carbon to cause heat-related deaths for 1.3 million people, report finds
How U.S. Unions Took Flight
Pilot killed when small plane crashes near central Indiana airport
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Watch this darling toddler run for the first time, straight into her military dad's arms
NY Governor: No sign of terrorism in US-Canada border blast that killed two on Rainbow Bridge
‘You lose a child, but you’re so thankful': Organ donation bonds families in tragedy, hope