Current:Home > NewsKristin Cavallari explains split from 24-year-old boyfriend: 'One day he will thank me' -Capitatum
Kristin Cavallari explains split from 24-year-old boyfriend: 'One day he will thank me'
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 08:42:15
Kristin Cavallari is ready to talk about her breakup.
The Uncommon James founder, 37, opened up about her recent split from Mark Estes, 24, on Tuesday's episode of her "Let's Be Honest" podcast. Cavallari shared that she broke up with Estes because she realized "long term, it's not right," and she "started to feel" their 13-year age gap and differences in life experience.
While Cavallari said Estes has been the "best boyfriend I've ever had," she felt that "he needs to experience life."
"I look back (at) when I was 24 and how much life has happened for me in between then, and I mean, those are crucial years. Those are formative years. This is when you find yourself. And he needs to be able to do that."
Cavallari clarified this wasn't entirely a recent revelation, as she has "always been well aware" of their age gap. But she told listeners she looks at this romance as "probably the best relationship of my life" and is certain that Estes will "make someone so happy one day" and "have a beautiful family of his own."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Kristin Cavallarislams critics of her dating 24-year-old: 'They’re all up in arms'
"I know that one day, he will look back and he will understand it, and I actually think one day he will thank me," she said. "That's just hindsight that you don't have at age 24."
Cavallari first revealed her relationship with Estes earlier this year, when the two went Instagram official. "He makes me happy," she wrote at the time. The news sparked immediate criticism of their 13-year age gap, but Cavallari fired back with a TikTok video in which she mouthed the words, "So what are you gonna do about it?" She captioned the clip, "When they’re all up in arms that im dating a 24 year old. Andddd?"
Kristin Cavallari,Mark Estes and the sexist relationship age gap discourse
The "Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County" star recently revealed news of her breakup during an appearance with "Call Her Daddy" host Alex Cooper, sharing that the split was "so fresh."
On Tuesday's podcast, Cavallari stressed the split wasn't because "something bad happened" between them, and she described these kinds of breakups as the hardest to deal with. "It's almost easier if the guy does something that makes you hate him," she said, whereas Estes has been "nothing but so sweet and so supportive."
Noting that the timing was "off" for them, she said Estes would be "perfect" for her if he were "45 and had two of his own kids."
But looking back on the situation, Cavallari said she has no regrets about any of it, including her decisions to go public with the relationship and introduce Estes to her children. She also expressed optimism that they will remain friends. For now, Cavallari has "no interest in getting back into the dating world."
The "Very Cavallari" star was previously married to quarterback Jay Cutler, with whom she shares three children. On her podcast in June, she shared that stress from being in an unhappy marriage caused her to become "very thin."
"I was skin and bones," she said. "I think I look so much better now. And you guys, that was just stress. That was being in a really unhappy marriage, quite honestly. I mean, literally. I was so unhappy."
Contributing: Jay Stahl
veryGood! (8)
Related
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- ESPN goes dark for Spectrum cable subscribers amid Disney-Charter Communications dispute
- North Carolina GOP legislator Paré running for Democrat-controlled US House seat
- Trump-era rule change allowing the logging of old-growth forests violates laws, judge says
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Stock market today: Asian shares trade mixed ahead of a key US jobs report
- Feds fighting planned expedition to retrieve Titanic artifacts, saying law treats wreck as hallowed gravesite
- Affected by Idalia or Maui fires? Here's how to get federal aid
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- In final hours before landfall, Hurricane Idalia stopped intensifying and turned from Tallahassee
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Summer House's Lindsay Hubbard & Carl Radke Call Off Engagement 2.5 Months Before Wedding
- He collapsed in 103 degree heat working his Texas UPS route. Four days later he was dead.
- Khloe Kardashian Makes Son Tatum Thompson’s Name Official
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Gwyneth Paltrow Calls Out Clickbaity Reaction to Goop's Infamous Vagina Candle
- Velocity at what cost? MLB's hardest throwers keep succumbing to Tommy John surgery
- Students with disabilities in Pennsylvania will get more time in school under settlement
Recommendation
Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
Oprah Winfrey and Dwayne Johnson start Maui wildfires relief fund with $10M donation
Texas guardsman suspended after wounding man in cross-border shooting, Mexico says
Love Is Blind: After the Altar Season 4 Status Check: See Which Couples Are Still Together
American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
Texas high court allows law banning gender-affirming care for transgender minors to take effect
Aaron Rodgers’ quest to turn Jets into contenders is NFL’s top storyline entering the season
Capitol physician says McConnell medically clear to continue with schedule after second freezing episode