Current:Home > MarketsTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Navy officer who killed 2 in Japan car crash released from U.S. custody -Capitatum
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Navy officer who killed 2 in Japan car crash released from U.S. custody
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 07:28:08
A Navy officer who had been jailed in Japan over a car crash that killed two Japanese citizens was released from U.S. custody on TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank CenterFriday, one month after he was returned to the United States and placed in a federal prison, his family said.
Lt. Ridge Alkonis was ordered released by the U.S. Parole Commission, according to the Justice Department and a family statement that described the extra detention in a Los Angeles detention facility as "unnecessary." In total, he spent 537 days locked up either in Japan or the U.S.
"He is now back home with his family, where he belongs. We will have more to say in time, but for now, we are focused on welcoming Ridge home and respectfully ask for privacy," the statement said. Alkonis's family is from Southern California.
The federal Bureau of Prisons confirmed in a separate statement that he had been released.
Alkonis was released from Japanese custody last month while serving a three-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to the negligent driving deaths of a woman and her son-in-law in May 2021.
Alkonis' family has said the crash was an accident that was caused when he lost consciousness while on a trip to Mount Fuji. Japanese prosecutors maintained that he fell asleep while drowsy and shirked a duty to pull over as he became fatigued.
"But he wasn't tired," Alkonis' wife, Brittany Alkonis, told CBS News in a July 2022 interview. "He was fine and alert. He had even noticed that I was at risk of getting car sick and told me to be careful."
Neither the Japanese police nor the U.S. Navy conducted a full medical exam during the 26 days he was in detention before he was charged.
"I'm really angry," Brittany said in her interview. "We've been told that this is the most egregious action against a service member in 60 years."
He was transferred in December into the custody of the Bureau of Prisons through a Justice Department program that permits the relocation of prisoners convicted in another country back to their home nation. The program stipulates that the sentence cannot be longer than the one imposed by the foreign government.
His family said no prison time was appropriate and protested the detention in Los Angeles.
The Parole Commission, which determines the release dates in the case of returning Americans, said that it had concluded that Alkonis was lawfully convicted in Japan of negligent driving causing death or injury and that the conviction was most similar in the U.S. criminal code to involuntary manslaughter.
But though U.S. sentencing guidelines recommended that a sentence of ten to 16 months be served if Alkonis had been convicted of the same crime in the U.S., the Parole Commission also determined that the amount of time he had already been jailed would have exceeded the applicable guideline range.
"Thus, as of January 12, 2024, the Commission ordered that he be immediately released from custody based on the time he had already served," the Parole Commission said in a statement.
- In:
- Fatal Car Crash
- Navy
- Japan
veryGood! (513)
Related
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Lizzo Reveals She’s Taking a “Gap Year” After Previous Comments About Quitting
- US Open Day 1: What you missed as 2024's final Grand Slam begins
- Miles Teller’s Wife Keleigh Surprises Him With Proposal and “Dream Boat” for 5th Wedding Anniversary
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Presidential transition planning has begun in earnest, but Trump and Harris are already behind
- EEE, West Nile, malaria: Know the difference between these mosquito-borne diseases
- Michigan golf club repays pandemic loan after lawsuit challenges eligibility
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Former WWE champion Sid Eudy, also known as 'Sycho Sid,' dies at 63, son says
Ranking
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Starliner astronauts won’t return until 2025: The NASA, Boeing mission explained
- What Not to Wear’s Stacy London and Clinton Kelly Team Up for New Show After Ending Years-Long Feud
- Mother of high school QB headed to Tennessee sues state of North Carolina over NIL restrictions
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Judge orders Martin Shkreli to turn over all copies of unreleased Wu-Tang Clan album
- Green Bay Packers trade for Malik Willis, a backup QB with the Tennessee Titans
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? Rookie overcomes injury scare in victory
Recommendation
Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
Travis Kelce's New Racehorse Seemingly Nods to Taylor Swift Romance
As NFL's ultimate kickoff X-factor, Cordarrelle Patterson could produce big returns for Steelers
Why Shopping Experts Know This Is the Best Time to Get Swimwear Deals: $2.96 Bottoms, $8 Bikinis & More
Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
Rapper Sean Kingston and his mother arraigned on fraud and theft charges
Receiver CeeDee Lamb agrees to 4-year, $136M deal with Cowboys, AP sources say
A ban on outdoor burning is set in 7 Mississippi counties during dry conditions