Current:Home > NewsBrooklyn synagogue tunnel: Emergency work order issued for buildings around Chabad center -Capitatum
Brooklyn synagogue tunnel: Emergency work order issued for buildings around Chabad center
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:20:02
The New York Department of Buildings issued an emergency work order to stabilize buildings near the Chabad-Lubavitch headquarters in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn, after the discovery of a tunnel running under the historic synagogue led to a clash with police and multiple arrests this week.
The department's investigation, which began Tuesday morning, uncovered a 5-foot-high, 8-foot-wide tunnel spanning 60 feet and connecting four neighboring buildings on the ground level, according to a statement emailed to USA TODAY. Investigators found tools, debris and dirt left by workers inside the tunnel.
The owners of two of the single story buildings were hit with two violations for work without a permit for constructing the tunnel without the department's approval.
"As a result of this extensive investigation, we have issued emergency work orders to stabilize the buildings above the tunnel, vacate orders in parts of the buildings to ensure occupant safety, and enforcement actions against the property owners for the illegal work," Department of Buildings press secretary Andrew Rudansky said.
The Department ordered a full evacuation of a two-story brick building behind the center that it deemed a fire hazard because of the removal of fire-rated walls from the building's cellar and first floor during the illegal construction of the tunnel.
Investigators determined that the tunnel had also undermined two single-story buildings, causing "structural stability issues." A partial vacate order was issued to both buildings.
The order directed the buildings' owners to hire a professional engineer to stabilize the "inadequate, rudimentary shoring" of the tunnel and seal off several openings. The owners told investigators they had already enlisted an architect, engineer, and contractor to start work on the tunnel.
Motti Seligson, a spokesperson for the Chabad center, did not return a request from USA TODAY for comment.
More:IDF releases footage of tunnel in Gaza where they say Israeli hostages were held
Nine men arrested after protest against closing tunnel
Nine men were taken into custody by NYPD officers on Monday after a tousle between police and a group of young Hasidic students protesting orders to close the tunnel.
The men were charged with criminal mischief and reckless endangerment, among other charges.
Videos posted to X, formerly Twitter, showed chaotic scenes at the synagogue as protesters shoved furniture and officers sprayed a repellant at the crowd.
The synagogue is the central headquarters of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement, a Hasidic Judaism movement dating back 250 years with more than 4,000 centers in more than 50 countries, according to the movement's website.
Rabbi Yehuda Krinsky, the movement's chairman, blamed a group of "young agitators who damaged the synagogue" for the tunnel's construction in a statement posted to Facebook.
"These odious actions will be investigated, and the sanctity of the synagogue will be restored," Krinsky wrote, thanking the NYPD for their "professionalism and sensitivity."
Supporters told The Associated Press that the tunnel's creators believed they were following a plan to expand the building laid out by Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, who led the Chabad movement after the Holocaust for more than 40 years.
Contributing: Associated Press
Cybele Mayes-Osterman is a breaking news reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her on email at [email protected]. Follow her on X @CybeleMO.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Soccer Star Jack Grealish Welcomes First Baby With Partner Sasha Attwood
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs' mother defends him amid legal troubles: 'A public lynching of my son'
- Opinion: Punchless Yankees lose to Royals — specter of early playoff exit rears its head
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Homeownership used to mean stable housing costs. That's a thing of the past.
- Oklahoma amends request for Bibles that initially appeared to match only version backed by Trump
- Lunds & Byerlys' Lone Star Dip recalled due to 'potential mold growth contamination'
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- RHONY Preview: How Ubah Hassan's Feud With Brynn Whitfield Really Started
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- Bigger or stronger? How winds will shape Hurricane Milton on Tuesday.
- Jurors weigh how to punish a former Houston officer whose lies led to murder during a drug raid
- Defendant pleads no contest in shooting of Native activist at protest of Spanish conquistador statue
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- The Latest: Harris continues media blitz with 3 more national interviews
- Drake Bell Details His Emotional Rollercoaster 6 Months After Debut of Quiet on Set
- Caitlin Clark will compete in LPGA's The Annika pro-am this November
Recommendation
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Las Vegas will blow a kiss goodbye — literally — to the Tropicana with a flashy casino implosion
Amazon Prime Day 2024: 30% Off Laneige Products Used by Sydney Sweeney, Porsha Williams & More
What to know about Hurricane Milton as it speeds toward Florida
FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
Federal judge orders Google to open its Android app store to competition
Texas edges Ohio State at top of in college football's NCAA Re-Rank 1-134 as Alabama tumbles
Anne Hathaway Reveals Sweet Anniversary Gift From Husband Adam Shulman