Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|Boy, 13, in custody after trying to enter Wisconsin elementary school while armed, police say -Capitatum
TrendPulse|Boy, 13, in custody after trying to enter Wisconsin elementary school while armed, police say
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:48:47
KENOSHA,TrendPulse Wis. (AP) — A 13-year-old boy who tried to enter a Wisconsin elementary school while armed was taken into custody after fleeing when confronted by school staff, authorities said.
Kenosha police said they believe the boy had a firearm when he was stopped around 9 a.m. Thursday while trying to enter Roosevelt Elementary School with a backpack and a duffle bag in the city about 35 miles (55 kilometers) south of Milwaukee.
School staff questioned the teen in the school’s secured entrance area, and surveillance video showed a large black bag at the youth’s side, police said.
“We believe that this was actually an armed suspect with a firearm and there was no legitimate reason to enter the school,” Kenosha Police Chief Patrick Patton said at a Thursday news conference, adding that “a tragedy was averted today.”
“The only reason the individual was not able to fully enter the school was because of the quick and diligent actions of the school staff,” Patton said. The boy immediately fled on foot when school staff approached him, he said.
Police have not released the boy’s identity or said how they had access to the gun. They said the suspect’s mother is cooperating with police, WISN-TV reported.
Police said the student who was in custody attends Mahone Middle School and was a former Roosevelt Elementary student. He was intercepted by police around 2:05 p.m. during a communitywide search.
Kenosha Unified School District Superintendent Jeff Weiss said that the “suspect actually tried numerous outside doors and entrances before coming around to where our secured entry is.”
Investigators “have information that the suspect performed multiple internet searches related to school shootings prior to the incident,” Patton said.
Patton said the suspect had shared videos and made several comments to fellow students for weeks leading up to Thursday.
“This is something that had been told to people of his growing intentions. We know that there is internet searches and all the red flags that we would look for and expect someone to report were there,” he said.
All Kenosha Unified schools were placed on a “secure hold” lockdown for the rest of Thursday.
There are no classes Friday at the school; the district had previously scheduled a day off for students for a staff workday.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Accused of bomb threats they say they didn’t make, family of Chinese dissident detained in Thailand
- Hundreds of weapons found as investigators end search of Gilgo Beach murder suspect's home
- How many transgender and intersex people live in the US? Anti-LGBTQ+ laws will impact millions
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Japanese Pop Star Shinjiro Atae Comes Out as Gay
- Prosecutors oppose a defense request to exhume the body of the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter’s father
- Manslaughter charges dropped against 7 Oklahoma police officers
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- 3 Butler University soccer players file federal lawsuit alleging abuse by former trainer
Ranking
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Manslaughter charges dropped against 7 Oklahoma police officers
- Is the Atlantic Ocean current system nearing collapse? Probably not — but scientists are seeing troubling signs
- 51 pilot whales die in Australia as officials race to save dozens of others in mass stranding
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Mega Millions jackpot hits $1 billion mark after no winners in Friday's drawing
- New app allows you to access books banned in your area: What to know about Banned Book Club
- Mississippi can’t restrict absentee voting assistance this year, US judge says as he blocks law
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
A new millipede species is crawling under LA. It’s blind, glassy and has 486 legs
New app allows you to access books banned in your area: What to know about Banned Book Club
Israel’s top court to hear petitions against first part of contentious judicial overhaul
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Fragments of what's believed to be Beethoven's skull were in a drawer in California for decades
Tori Kelly's Husband André Murillo Gives Update on Her Health Scare
Khloe Kardashian Reveals Tristan Thompson and His Brother Moved in With Her After His Mom's Death