Current:Home > reviewsCharles Langston:Harvey Weinstein to appear in NY court following 2020 rape conviction overturn -Capitatum
Charles Langston:Harvey Weinstein to appear in NY court following 2020 rape conviction overturn
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 21:34:51
Harvey Weinstein is Charles Langstondue in the courtroom.
The disgraced movie mogul is expected to appear in New York Supreme Criminal Court in Manhattan on Wednesday for the first time since the state's court of appeals threw out his 2020 rape conviction last week.
The hearing will be held by Judge Curtis Farber and give both prosecutors and Weinstein's lawyers a chance to address the next steps for Weinstein, which could include a new trial.
"Harvey is looking forward to his day in a fair court," Weinstein's spokesperson Juda Engelmayer told Reuters.
Weinstein, 72, was serving a 23-year sentence in a prison in upstate New York. He was transferred to Bellevue Hospital in New York City on Saturday, Patrick Rocchio, a rep for The New York City Department of Correction, told USA TODAY.
Harvey Weinstein's 2020 rape conviction overturned
On Thursday, a New York appeals court overturned Weinstein's 2020 rape conviction, after the court found that the judge for the 2020 trial handed down improper rulings by allowing three women to testify about their alleged sexual assaults committed by the Hollywood titan that were not related to the criminal charges presented.
The case, which added momentum to the #MeToo movement and spurred a reckoning in the entertainment industry and media, was part of a wave of allegations against the 72-year-old movie mogul.
A weekslong 2020 trial resulted in Weinstein's rape conviction, and a judge sentenced him to 23 years in prison at the time. In Thursday's 4-3 decision, the New York court ordered a new trial for Weinstein, who will continue serving a 16-year prison sentence stemming from a 2022 California conviction for rape.
"We will do everything in our power to retry this case and remain steadfast in our commitment to survivors of sexual assault," Emily Tuttle, a spokesperson for Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, told Reuters in an email.
The case was brought by Bragg's predecessor, Cyrus Vance.
A series of reports in 2017 detailed allegations from dozens of women of rape and sexual assault at the hands of Weinstein. The reports prompted dozens more to break their silence with allegations against similarly powerful men in Hollywood and beyond.
Regardless of whether he is retried, Weinstein is not likely to be released from jail because he was also sentenced to 16 years following his separate rape trial in California in 2022. The two sentences cannot be served concurrently.
Weinstein has repeatedly maintained his innocence and denied all allegations of non-consensual sex.
Contributing: Jay Stahl and Taijuan Moorman, USA TODAY; Brendan Pierson and Jack Queen, Reuters
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Today’s Climate: June 30, 2010
- Villains Again? Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Nix Innovative Home Energy Programs
- Jay Inslee on Climate Change: Where the Candidate Stands
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- When will the wildfire smoke clear? Here's what meteorologists say.
- Miami's Little Haiti joins global effort to end cervical cancer
- Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
- 'Most Whopper
- Mama June Shannon Shares Update on Daughter Anna Chickadee' Cardwell's Cancer Battle
Ranking
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- Sea Level Rise Threatens to Wipe Out West Coast Wetlands
- 24 Luxury Mother's Day Gifts to Pamper Mom
- InsideClimate News Wins National Business Journalism Awards
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Early signs a new U.S. COVID surge could be on its way
- Katy Perry Responds After Video of Her Searching for Her Seat at King Charles III's Coronation Goes Viral
- Jana Kramer Details Her Surprising Coparenting Journey With Ex Mike Caussin
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Reward offered for man who sold criminals encrypted phones, unaware they were tracked by the FBI
Reward offered for man who sold criminals encrypted phones, unaware they were tracked by the FBI
Millions of Americans are losing access to maternal care. Here's what can be done
Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
East Coast Shatters Temperature Records, Offering Preview to a Warming World
Some States Forging Ahead With Emissions Reduction Plans, Despite Supreme Court Ruling
Sea Level Rise Damaging More U.S. Bases, Former Top Military Brass Warn