Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|George Santos wants jury pool in his fraud trial questioned over their opinions of him -Capitatum
TrendPulse|George Santos wants jury pool in his fraud trial questioned over their opinions of him
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 07:32:12
CENTRAL ISLIP,TrendPulse N.Y. (AP) — Former U.S. Rep. George Santos wants potential jurors in his September fraud trial to be questioned about their opinions of him.
The request is among a number of issues a judge is expected to consider during a Tuesday hearing in federal court on Long Island. Santos has pleaded not guilty to a range of financial crimes, including lying to Congress about his wealth, collecting unemployment benefits while actually working and using campaign contributions to pay for such personal expenses as designer clothing.
The New York Republican’s lawyers argue in recent court filings that the written form “concerning potential jurors’ knowledge, beliefs, and preconceptions” is needed because of the extensive negative media coverage surrounding Santos, who was expelled from Congress in December after an ethics investigation found “overwhelming evidence” he’d broken the law and exploited his public position for his own profit.
They cite more than 1,500 articles by major news outlets and a " Saturday Night Live " skit about Santos. They also note similar questionnaires were used in other high profile federal cases in New York, including the trial of notorious drug kingpin Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán.
“For all intents and purposes, Santos has already been found guilty in the court of public opinion,” the defense memo filed last week reads. “This pervasive and prejudicial publicity creates a substantial likelihood that potential jurors have been exposed to inadmissible and biased information, and have already formed a negative opinion about Santos, thereby jeopardizing his right to a fair trial.”
But prosecutors, voicing their opposition in a legal brief Friday, argue Santos’ request is simply a delay tactic, as the trial date was set more than nine months ago and some 850 prospective jurors have already been summoned to appear at the courthouse on Sept. 9.
The public perception of Santos, they argue, is also “largely a product of his own making” as he’s spent months “courting the press and ginning up” media attention.
“His attempt to complicate and delay these proceedings through the use of a lengthy, cumbersome, and time-consuming questionnaire is yet another example of Santos attempting to use his public persona as both a sword and a shield,” they wrote. “The Court must not permit him to do so.”
Santos’ lawyers, who didn’t respond to an email seeking comment, also asked in their legal filing last week for the court to consider a partially anonymous jury for the upcoming trial.
They say the individual jurors’ identities should only be known by the judge, the two sides and their attorneys due to the high-profile nature of the case.
Prosecutors said in a written response filed in court Friday that they don’t object to the request.
But lawyers for the government are also seeking to admit as evidence some of the lies Santos made during his campaign. Before he was elected in 2022 to represent parts of Queens and Long Island, he made false claims that he graduated from both New York University and Baruch College and that he’d worked at financial giants Citigroup and Goldman Sachs, prosecutors said.
They argue that the wholesale fabrications about his background are “inextricably intertwined ” with the criminal charges he faces.
Santos’ lawyers have declined to comment on the prosecution’s request.
Last month, federal Judge Joanna Seybert turned down Santos’ request to dismiss three of the 23 charges he faces.
He dropped a longshot bid to return to Congress as an independent in April.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (23993)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Bladder Botox isn't what it sounds like. Here's why the procedure can be life changing.
- Chicago woman pleads guilty, gets 50 years for cutting child from victim’s womb
- Caitlin Clark WNBA salary, contract terms: How much will she earn as No. 1 pick?
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- 13-year-old girl killed, 12-year-old boy in custody after shooting at Iowa home
- Campus crime is spiking to pre-pandemic levels. See your college’s numbers in our data.
- Boston Marathon winners hope victories will earn them spot in Paris Olympics
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Internet customers in western North Carolina to benefit from provider’s $20M settlement
Ranking
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Supreme Court allows Idaho to enforce ban on gender-affirming care for nearly all transgender minors for now
- Wait, what is a scooped bagel? Inside the LA vs. New York debate dividing foodies.
- Naomi Watts and 15-Year-Old Child Kai Schreiber Enjoy Family Night Out During Rare Public Appearance
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Retired general’s testimony links private contractor to Abu Ghraib abuses
- The 10 Best Linen Pants To Rock This Summer
- Michigan attorney general to announce charges in investigation of former top lawmaker
Recommendation
NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
Crop-rich California region may fall under state monitoring to preserve groundwater flow
The 10 Best Linen Pants To Rock This Summer
Travis Kelce named host of ‘Are You Smarter than a Celebrity?’ for Prime Video
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
First 7 jurors seated in Trump trial as judge warns former president about comments
Man gets 4 death sentences for kidnapping, rape and murder of 5-year-old Georgia girl
Treasurer denies South Carolina Senate accusation he risked cyberattack in missing $1.8B case