Current:Home > ScamsA new wave of violence sweeps across Ecuador after a gang leader’s apparent escape from prison -Capitatum
A new wave of violence sweeps across Ecuador after a gang leader’s apparent escape from prison
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-05 19:16:14
QUITO, Ecuador (AP) — Ecuador was rocked by a series of attacks Tuesday, including explosions and the abduction of several police officers, after the government imposed a state of emergency in the wake of the apparent escape of a powerful gang leader from prison.
Police reported four officers were kidnapped on Monday night and remained missing, one in the capital, Quito, and three in Quevedo city.
Separately, agents arrested two people for possession of explosives and as suspects in at least one of the attacks in the South American country.
The government has not said how many attacks were registered in total, but local media reported several, including some in northern cities, where vehicles were set on fire, and others in Quito, including an explosion near the house of the president of the National Justice Court.
Authorities have not said who is thought to be behind the attacks and if the incidents are part an orchestrated action. The government has previously accused members of the main drug gangs for similar strikes. In recent years, Ecuador has been engulfed by a surge of violence tied to drug trafficking, including homicides and kidnappings.
Ecuadorian authorities reported Sunday that Adolfo Macías, alias “Fito” and the leader of Los Choneros gang, wasn’t in his cell in a low security prison. He was scheduled to be transferred to a maximum security facility that day.
His whereabouts were unclear.
Prosecutors opened an investigation and charged two guards in connection with the alleged escape, but neither the police, the corrections system, nor the federal government confirmed whether Macías fled the facility or might be hiding in it.
In February 2013, he escaped from a maximum security facility but was recaptured weeks later.
On Monday, President Daniel Noboa decreed a national state of emergency for 60 days, allowing the authorities to suspend rights and mobilize the military in places like prisons. The government also imposed a curfew from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Noboa said in a message on Instagram that he wouldn’t stop until he “brings back peace to all Ecuadorians,” and that his government had decided to confront crime.
States of emergency were widely used by Noboa’s predecessor, Guillermo Lasso, as a way to confront the wave of violence that has affected the country.
The wave of attacks began a few hours after Noboa’s announcement.
Macías, who was convicted of drug trafficking, murder and organized crime, was serving a 34-year sentence in La Regional prison in the port of Guayaquil.
Los Choneros is one of the Ecuadorian gangs authorities consider responsible for a spike in violence that reached a new level last year with the assassination of presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio. The gang has links with Mexico’s Sinaloa cartel, according to authorities.
Experts and authorities have acknowledged that gang members practically rule from inside the prisons, and Macías was believed to have continued controlling his group from within the detention facility.
veryGood! (65935)
Related
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- Olivia Rodrigo's 'Guts' is a no-skip album and these 2 songs are the best of the bunch
- Pelosi says she’ll run for reelection in 2024 as Democrats try to win back House majority
- Author traces 'surprising history' of words that label women and their lives
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- Hunt for Daniel Abed Khalife, terror suspect who escaped a London prison, enters second day
- Finland’s center-right government survives no-confidence vote over 2 right-wing ministers
- Comet Nishimura will pass Earth for first time in over 400 years: How to find and watch it
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- India seeking greater voice for developing world at G20, but Ukraine war may overshadow talks
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Australia and the Philippines strengthen their ties as South China Sea disputes heat up
- Top storylines entering US Open men's semifinals: Can breakout star Ben Shelton surprise?
- Russia summons Armenia’s ambassador as ties fray and exercises with US troops approach
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- AP Week in Pictures: Europe and Africa
- Authorities identify remains of 2 victims killed in 9/11 attack on World Trade Center
- 'The Long Island Serial Killer': How cell phone evidence led to a suspect in 3 cases
Recommendation
Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
FAA looks to require cockpit technology to reduce close calls
Jacksonville begins funerals for Black victims of racist gunman with calls to action, warm memories
Tahesha Way sworn in as New Jersey’s lieutenant governor after death of Sheila Oliver
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Why beautiful sadness — in music, in art — evokes a special pleasure
Coco Gauff navigates delay created by environmental protestors, reaches US Open final
California governor signs bill to clear hurdles for student housing at Berkeley’s People’s Park