Current:Home > ContactTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-British judge says Prince Harry’s lawsuit against Daily Mail publisher can go to trial -Capitatum
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-British judge says Prince Harry’s lawsuit against Daily Mail publisher can go to trial
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 05:31:38
LONDON (AP) — A British judge ruled Friday that a lawsuit by Prince Harry,TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center Elton John and five other celebrities accusing a newspaper publisher of unlawful information-gathering should go to a full trial.
The claimants, who include John’s husband David Furnish and actors Liz Hurley and Sadie Frost, accuse the publisher of the Daily Mail of paying private investigators to illegally bug homes and cars and to record phone conversations.
Harry said the publisher targeted him and the people closest to him by unlawfully hacking voicemails, tapping landlines, obtaining itemized phone bills and the flight information of his then-girlfriend, Chelsy Davy.
The publisher, Associated Newspapers Ltd., asked the judge to throw out the case. At hearings in March its lawyers argued that the claims -– which date as far back as 1993 -- were brought too late and that claimants were relying on confidential evidence the papers turned over to a 2012 public inquiry into tabloid wrongdoing.
Judge Matthew Nicklin ruled that the claimants cannot rely on the documents handed over to the 2012 Leveson inquiry. But he said the case can go ahead because the claims “have a real prospect of succeeding.”
“Associated has not been able to deliver a ‘knockout blow’ to the claims of any of these claimants,” the judge said in a written ruling.
The other claimants are anti-racism campaigner Doreen Lawrence and former politician Simon Hughes.
The case is one of several lawsuits brought in the U.K. by Harry, who has made it a personal mission to tame Britain’s tabloid press.
In June he became the first senior member of the royal family to testify in court in more than a century when he testified in a separate phone hacking lawsuit against the publishers of the Daily Mirror.
Harry is also suing the publisher of The Sun newspaper alongside actor Hugh Grant. That case is scheduled to go to trial early next year.
veryGood! (61)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Woman, 71, tried to murder her husband after he got a postcard from decades-old flame: Police
- Taylor Swift AI pictures highlight the horrors of deepfake porn. Will we finally care?
- Man accused of destroying Satanic Temple display at Iowa Capitol is now charged with hate crime
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- From marching bands to megastars: How the Super Bowl halftime show became a global spectacle
- Music from Taylor Swift, Bad Bunny, Drake and more could be pulled from TikTok: Here's why
- Secret history: Even before the revolution, America was a nation of conspiracy theorists
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Military vet who killed Iraqi civilian in 2004 is ordered jailed on charges he used metal baton to assault officers during Capitol riot
Ranking
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Taylor Swift, Drake, BTS and more may have their music taken off TikTok — here's why
- We all publicly salivate over Jeremy Allen White. Should we?
- Music from Memphis’ Stax Records, Detroit’s Motown featured in online show
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- US worker paycheck growth slowed late last year, pointing to cooling in a very strong job market
- Mark Zuckerberg, Linda Yaccarino among tech CEOs grilled for failing to protect kids
- Man accused of beheading his father, police investigating video allegedly showing him with the head
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Hacked-up bodies found inside coolers aboard trucks — along with warning message from Mexican cartel
Fulton County says cyberattack did not impact Trump election interference case
California man who blamed twin brother for cold case rapes of girl and jogger is sentenced to 140 years in prison
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Some LGBTQ youth look to aunts for emotional support, companionship and housing stability
Hedge fund billionaire Ken Griffin calls Harvard students whiny snowflakes
Music from Memphis’ Stax Records, Detroit’s Motown featured in online show