Current:Home > Contact6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating -Capitatum
6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:20:23
A 6-year-old Virginia student took a gun to school Monday and investigators are trying to figure out how the child got ahold of the weapon, according to authorities.
The incident happened at Orange Elementary School, about 29 miles northeast of Charlottesville, the Orange County Sheriff's Office shared on Facebook Monday afternoon.
A school staff member contacted an Orange County Sheriff’s Office School Resource Officer at 12:50 p.m. that day about a loaded firearm found inside the school. The school was then placed in safe school mode, the sheriff’s office shared online.
The sheriff’s office said the firearm was found inside a backpack, so the school resource officer and a school administrator took the backpack.
Investigators announced later that afternoon that the 6-year-old student brought the firearm to school, where an instructional assistant found the gun.
No one was hurt, and no threats were made, the sheriff’s office said.
The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating but said no arrests have been made so far.
“The safety and security of our students and school staff remain our top priority,” the sheriff’s office said. “Out of an abundance of caution we will have additional law enforcement at the school for the remainder of today and tomorrow.”
School shooting investigation:911 calls from Georgia school shooting released
Superintendent says situation was handled in a ‘swift, professional’ manner
Superintendent of Orange County Public Schools Dan Hornick released a statement to community members online, calling the ordeal “distressing.”
“It is important to recognize and appreciate the swift, professional, and thorough steps taken by the staff members and administrators at Orange Elementary School,” Hornick wrote in his statement. “Their diligence prevented the situation from escalating.”
He also thanked the sheriff’s office for working with the school.
Later in his statement, Hornick said he wanted to note how the school system could grow in situations like this. According to the superintendent, the school went into Safe School Mode, where classrooms are secured, and law enforcement and school administrators investigate.
The goal during Safe School Mode and other school status changes is to let parents and guardians know what’s going on as soon as possible, Hornick said.
“Unfortunately, this type of notification was not sent to the OES community today,” he said, adding that he wanted to apologize for the “error.”
Similar situations have arisen throughout the country this past year, including a Sept. 4 shooting in Georgia where a student killed four at Apalachee High School.
Hornick, the superintendent of Orange County Public Schools, asked that “in light of recent events across our country … all parents and guardians exercise even greater diligence in ensuring that students do not bring weapons or other dangerous items to school.”
He added that he has two children attending schools in Orange County and said he plans to check his own children’s bags more frequently and talk to them more about school safety.
“By working together, we can provide the safe and dynamic learning environment our students deserve,” he said. “Thank you for your continued support, even under difficult circumstances.”
Contributing: Jeanine Santucci
Saleen Martin is a reporter on USA TODAY's NOW team. She is from Norfolk, Virginia – the 757. Follow her on Twitter at@SaleenMartin or email her at[email protected].
veryGood! (4482)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Powerball winning numbers for October 5: Jackpot rises to $295 million
- Sister Wives' Janelle Brown Claims Ex Kody Hasn't Seen His Grandchildren in More Than 3 Years
- San Jose State women's volleyball team has been thrown into debate after forfeits
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Hot-air balloon bumps line, causing brief power outage during Albuquerque balloon fiesta
- 'We know we're good': Mets pounce after Phillies pull ace in latest rousing comeback
- Tia Mowry Shares Update on Her Dating Life After Cory Hardrict Divorce
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- RHOSLC Star Whitney Rose's 14-Year-Old Daughter Bobbie Taken to the ICU
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- NASA, SpaceX delay launch to study Jupiter’s moon Europa as Hurricane Milton approaches
- Cissy Houston, Whitney Houston’s mother and a Grammy-winning singer, dies at 91
- TikToker Taylor Rousseau Grigg’s Husband Speaks Out After Her Death
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Voters in North Carolina and Georgia have bigger problems than politics. Helene changed everything
- Krispy Kreme scares up Ghostbusters doughnut collection: Here are the new flavors
- Milton strengthens again, now a Cat 4 hurricane aiming at Florida: Live updates
Recommendation
Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
Chrissy Teigen Reveals White Castle Lower Back Tattoo
Texas still No. 1 in US LBM Coaches Poll but rest of college football top 10 gets reshuffling
Powerball winning numbers for October 5: Jackpot rises to $295 million
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Matthew Broderick Says He Turned Down SATC Role as the Premature Ejaculator
A man and a woman are arrested in an attack on a former New York governor
On wild Los Angeles night, Padres bully Dodgers to tie NLDS – with leg up heading home