Current:Home > MyDeleted emails of late North Dakota attorney general recovered amid investigation of ex-lawmaker -Capitatum
Deleted emails of late North Dakota attorney general recovered amid investigation of ex-lawmaker
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 04:31:55
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — Deleted emails of North Dakota’s late attorney general, thought to be erased forever, have been recovered — and authorities are now looking at them as part of their case against a former state lawmaker accused of traveling to Europe with the intent of paying for sex with a minor.
On Monday, North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley said about 2,000 state emails of his late predecessor, Wayne Stenehjem, were recovered in a backup from Stenehjem’s personal cellphone. They were found as investigators were preparing for the trial of former state Sen. Ray Holmberg, a Republican.
Holmberg, 80, of Grand Forks, is charged with traveling to Europe with the intent of paying for sex with a minor and with receiving images depicting child sexual abuse, according to a federal indictment unsealed in October 2023. He has pleaded not guilty. A trial is scheduled to begin in April.
Stenehjem and Holmberg were friends and served in the state Legislature for decades together. Holmberg resigned in 2022. and Stenehjem died earlier that year. Stenehjem was not accused of any crime associated with Holmberg.
Investigators recovered the emails last month through a backup or extraction of Stenehjem’s personal cellphone, which a family member had asked the state Bureau of Criminal Investigation to unlock to find photos for his funeral in 2022, Wrigley said.
“This is the functional equivalent of finding it like they downloaded it onto a zip drive and put it in a sock drawer,” Wrigley said. Stenehjem’s email account however, is “deleted and dead,” he said.
Stenehjem did not recuse himself from the Holmberg case, and he was viewed as a witness in the case and was questioned at some point, said Wrigley, who declined to elaborate. Being questioned is not the same as being accused, he said.
Investigators are evaluating what was on Stenehjem’s phone in connection with a search warrant for what might become part of the Holmberg case, such as emails and text messages, said Wrigley, who declined to say why Stenehjem’s phone data became involved in Holmberg’s case.
Wrigley’s office also is evaluating the emails in response to previous records requests, he said.
In 2022, media requested Stenehjem’s emails related to a building cost overrun of over $1 million, incurred under the late attorney general. In response, Wrigley released records that revealed Stenehjem’s longtime executive assistant, Liz Brocker, had directed the deletion of his state email account the day after he died, as well as that of his chief deputy, Troy Seibel, after Seibel resigned months later. Brocker later resigned.
On Thursday, a special prosecutor declined to press charges in connection with the deletion of Stenehjem’s emails, which occurred before Wrigley’s tenure. Brocker’s attorney agreed with the prosecutor’s decision.
veryGood! (13)
Related
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Storm hits Australia with strong winds and power outages, but weakens from cyclone to tropical storm
- Gaza’s Health Ministry blames Israeli troops for deadly shooting as crowd waited for aid
- Middle school students return to class for the 1st time since Iowa school shooting
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Dominant Chiefs defense faces the ultimate test: Stopping Ravens' Lamar Jackson
- Patriots WR Kayshon Boutte arrested for taking part in illegal sports betting while at LSU
- Walgreens to pay $275,000 to settle allegations in Vermont about service during pandemic
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- DNA from 10,000-year-old chewing gum sheds light on teens' Stone Age menu and oral health: It must have hurt
Ranking
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- 'Squatters' turn Beverly Hills mansion into party hub. But how? The listing agent explains.
- Media workers strike to protest layoffs at New York Daily News, Forbes and Condé Nast
- Watch: Lionel Messi teases his first Super Bowl commercial
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- A bear was killed by a hunter months after it captivated a Michigan neighborhood
- Trump briefly testifies in E. Jean Carroll defamation trial
- 'I'm stunned': Social media reaction to Falcons hiring Raheem Morris over Bill Belichick
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
New Jersey's plastic consumption triples after plastic bag ban enacted, study shows
Louisville police are accused of wrongful arrest and excessive force against a Black man
Why Bachelor Nation's Susie Evans and Justin Glaze Decided to Finally Move Out of the Friend Zone
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Jennifer Crumbley, on trial in son's school shooting, sobs at 'horrific' footage of rampage
Music student from China convicted of harassing person over democracy leaflet
Lions vs. 49ers NFC championship game weather forecast: Clear skies and warm temperatures