Current:Home > ScamsPoinbank Exchange|Travis Scott questioned in Astroworld festival deposition following wave of lawsuits -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Travis Scott questioned in Astroworld festival deposition following wave of lawsuits
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 19:20:58
HOUSTON — Rap superstar Travis Scott was questioned on Poinbank ExchangeMonday in a deposition he is giving in connection with hundreds of lawsuits that were filed against him and others over the deaths and injuries at the 2021 Astroworld festival.
Scott was questioned in Houston during a deposition that could take several days to complete, two people with knowledge about the litigation said.
Lawyers and others connected to the lawsuits are under a gag order, preventing them from saying little beyond what happens during court hearings.
An attorney for Scott did not immediately return an email seeking comment. A spokesperson for Scott said a statement about Monday’s deposition was being prepared.
This was the first time Scott was questioned by attorneys for those who have filed lawsuits since a crowd surge at his Nov. 5, 2021, concert in Houston killed 10 festivalgoers.
Those killed, who ranged in age from 9 to 27, died from compression asphyxia, which an expert likened to being crushed by a car.
Similar crushes have happened all over the world, from a soccer stadium in England to the hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia to Halloween festivities in the South Korean capital. Most people who die in crowd surges suffocate.
Scott’s deposition comes as a judge earlier this year scheduled the first trial from the lawsuits for May 6, 2024. That first trial would take place nearly 2.5 years since the deadly concert.
Documents filed in court in April listed more than 1,500 active cases, many of which were filed against Scott and Live Nation, the concert promoter.
Of these, 992 were cases with physical injuries and 313 were cases of “emotional distress, pain, suffering and mental anguish.” Orthopedic surgeries have been completed in 17 of these cases, with other surgeries recommended in another 21.
Some of the lawsuits have since been settled, including those filed by the families of three of the people killed during the concert.
In June, a grand jury in Houston declined to indict Scott and five other people on any criminal charges related to the deadly concert.
Scott’s deposition on Monday took place on the same day that hip-hop artist Drake, who performed several songs with Scott during the Astroworld concert, was performing in Houston. Drake was also sued in connection with the deadly concert.
Travis Scott:Rapper announces Utopia-Circus Maximus Tour: These are the 28 tour dates
Astroworld:Travis Scott will not face criminal charges over concert that left 10 dead
veryGood! (34)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- A'ja Wilson makes more WNBA history as first player to score 1,000 points in a season
- Demi Lovato Shares Whether She Wants Her Future Kids to Have Careers in Hollywood
- The Fate of Emily in Paris Revealed After Season 4
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Fantasy football buy low, sell high: 10 trade targets for Week 3
- Customer fatally shoots teenage Waffle House employee inside North Carolina store
- 2024 Emmys: Why Fans Are Outraged Over The Bear Being Classified as a Comedy
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- DEA shutting down two offices in China even as agency struggles to stem flow of fentanyl chemicals
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Demi Lovato Shares Whether She Wants Her Future Kids to Have Careers in Hollywood
- Renowned Alabama artist Fred Nall Hollis dies at 76
- Michaela Mabinty DePrince's Mom Elaine DePrince Died 24 Hours After the Ballerina
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Bridgerton’s Nicola Coughlan Shares Why She Was “Terrified” at the 2024 Emmys
- Lutherans in Walz’s Minnesota put potlucks before politics during divisive election season
- Don't listen to Trump's lies. Haitian chef explains country's rich culinary tradition.
Recommendation
Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
Georgia keeps No. 1 spot ahead of Texas in NCAA Re-Rank 1-134 as Florida State tumbles
Ohio town cancels cultural festival after furor over Haitians
Democrats put up $25 million to reach voters in 10 states in fierce fight for Senate majority
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Microsoft solves 365 outage that left thousands unable to access email, Teams, other apps
Polaris Dawn was a mission for the history books: Look back at the biggest moments
Jermaine Johnson injury update: NY Jets linebacker suffers season-ending injury vs Titans