Current:Home > ScamsEx-Honolulu prosecutor and five others found not guilty in bribery case -Capitatum
Ex-Honolulu prosecutor and five others found not guilty in bribery case
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:55:39
HONOLULU (AP) — A jury found Honolulu’s former top prosecutor not guilty Friday in a bribery case that alleged employees of an engineering and architectural firm bribed him with campaign donations in exchange for his prosecution of a former company employee.
A U.S. grand jury indicted former Honolulu Prosecuting Attorney Keith Kaneshiro and five others in 2022. The indictment alleged that Mitsunaga & Associates employees and an attorney contributed more than $45,000 to Kaneshiro’s reelection campaigns between October 2012 and October 2016.
The firm’s owner, Dennis Mitsunaga, who was ordered jailed during the trial because of witness tampering allegations, was also found not guilty after nearly two days of deliberation, Hawaii News Now reported.
He was ordered released after the verdict.
The jury also found the other four defendants not guilty.
The former employee targeted with prosecution had been a project architect at Mitsunaga & Associates for 15 years when she was fired without explanation on the same day she expressed disagreement with claims the CEO made against her, court documents say.
Kaneshiro’s office prosecuted the architect, but a judge dismissed the case in 2017 for lack of probable cause.
“I feel vindicated,” Kaneshiro told reporters after the verdict. “But how am I going to get back my reputation?”
His attorney, Birney Bervar, told The Associated Press, “The first day I looked at this case I didn’t feel there was sufficient evidence of bribery.”
In January, a month before the trial was scheduled to begin, U.S. District Judge J. Michael Seabright, who had been presiding over the case, unexpectedly recused himself. U.S. Senior District Judge Timothy Burgess in Alaska stepped in to take over the case and traveled to Hawaii for the trial.
Burgess ruled in February that the trial wouldn’t be postponed further despite an investigation into allegations one of the defendants threatened Seabright, which prompted his recusal.
The trial began in March.
Prosecutors didn’t immediately comment on the verdict.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- El Salvador VP acknowledges ‘mistakes’ in war on gangs but says country is ‘not a police state’
- Confusion reigns in Olympic figure skating world over bronze medalist
- Police in Northern California arrest boy, 14, in non-fatal shooting of fellow high school student
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Where do the parties stand on efforts to secure a cease-fire in Gaza and the release of hostages?
- Andrew Tate loses his appeal to ease judicial restrictions as human trafficking case continues
- Tennessee football program, other sports under NCAA investigation for possible NIL violations
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- Small business payroll growth is moderating, but that could mean more sustainable growth ahead
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Indiana man agrees to plead guilty to killing teenage girl who worked for him
- Consortium of Great Lakes universities and tech companies gets $15M to seek ways to clean wastewater
- Wrestling icon Vince McMahon resigns from WWE parent company after sex abuse suit
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Bob Odenkirk learns he's related to King Charles III after calling monarchy 'twisted'
- Yells for help lead to Maine man's rescue after boat overturns: Lobstermen saved his life
- UN urges rivals in Cyprus to de-escalate tensions and seize opportunity to restart negotiations
Recommendation
Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
Massachusetts state troopers arrested for taking bribes to pass commercial drivers on test
Raquel Leviss Suggests Tom Sandoval Masterminded Vanderpump Rules Cheating Scandal
Pennsylvania’s governor to push for millions in funds for economic development in budget
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
The Best Planners for Staying Organized and on Top of Everything in 2024
Floridians could kill black bears when threatened at home under a bill ready for House vote
Haiti pushes forward with new program to boost police department overwhelmed by gangs