Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|London jury acquits Kevin Spacey of sexual assault charges on his birthday -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|London jury acquits Kevin Spacey of sexual assault charges on his birthday
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 07:51:49
LONDON (AP) — Kevin Spacey was acquitted of sexual assault on Benjamin AshfordWednesday after the Oscar winner’s testimony as a witness in his own defense spared him a possible prison term and gave him a shot at a career comeback.
Tears rolled down Spacey’s cheeks as the final “not guilty” verdict was read. It was his 64th birthday.
Spacey’s wide-ranging testimony climaxed as he choked up speaking of the six years he’d gone without work after sex abuse allegations surfaced against him during the #MeToo movement in the U.S. in 2017.
Other news Jury in Kevin Spacey’s sexual assault trial ends 1st day of deliberations in London Jurors in the sexual assault trial of Kevin Spacey have adjourned without reaching a verdict after deliberating for more than two hours in a London court. Kevin Spacey’s lawyer says three of the actor’s sexual assault accusers are ‘liars’ Kevin Spacey’s defense lawyer says three of the actor’s four accusers are liars. Attorney Patrick Gibbs told jurors Thursday in a London courtroom that the testimony against Spacey relied on fictions and fantasies. Prosecutor says Kevin Spacey used celebrity status for ‘opportunity grab’ described by accusers A prosecutor says it’s more than a coincidence that three of Kevin Spacey’s four accusers described similar crotch-grabbing incidents. Elton John lends celebrity testimony to Kevin Spacey’s sexual assault trial Elton John has testified for the defense at Kevin Spacey’s sexual assault trial as the actor’s lawyer attempted to discredit a man who claimed Spacey aggressively grabbed his crotch in a car on the way to the singer’s house.“My world exploded,” Spacey testified. “There was a rush to judgment and before the first question was asked or answered I lost my job, I lost my reputation, I lost everything in a matter of days.”
Three men accused the Oscar winner of aggressively grabbing their crotches. A fourth, an aspiring actor seeking mentorship, said he awoke to the actor performing oral sex on him after going to Spacey’s London apartment for a beer and either falling asleep or passing out.
Spacey said he was a “big flirt” who had consensual flings with men and whose only misstep was touching a man’s groin while making a “clumsy pass.”
Defense lawyer Patrick Gibbs said three of the men were liars and incidents had been “reimagined with a sinister spin.” He accused most of them of hopping on a “bandwagon” of complaints in the hope of striking it rich.
Prosecutor Christine Agnew told jurors that Spacey was a “sexual bully” who took what he wanted when he wanted. She said he was shielded by a “trinity of protection”: he knew men were unlikely to complain; they wouldn’t be believed if they did complain; and if they did complain, no action would be taken because he was powerful.
Spacey had faced nine charges, including multiple counts of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent.
The accusations date from 2001 to 2013 and include a period when Spacey — after winning Academy Awards for “The Usual Suspects” and “American Beauty” — had returned to the theater, his first love. During most of that period he was artistic director of the Old Vic Theatre in London.
The men came forward after an American actor accused Spacey of an incident of sexual misconduct as the #MeToo movement heated up in 2017.
Several of the men said they had been haunted by the abuse and couldn’t bear to watch Spacey’s films.
One of the men broke down when speaking with police as he provided details in a videotaped interview about the oral sex incident that he said he’d never told anyone before. Another man said he was angry about the abuse that occurred sporadically over several years and began to drink and work out more to cope with it.
Spacey choked up and became teary eyed in the witness box as he described the emotional and financial turmoil that the U.S. accusations brought and the barrage of criticism that followed on social media.
“My world exploded,” Spacey testified. “There was a rush to judgment and before the first question was asked or answered I lost my job, I lost my reputation, I lost everything in a matter of days.”
Gibbs said Spacey was being “monstered” on the internet every night and became toxic in the industry.
Spacey was booted from “House of Cards” and his scenes in “All the Money in the World,” were scrubbed and he was replaced by Christopher Plummer. Aside from some small projects, he has barely worked as an actor in six years.
A New York jury last year swiftly cleared Spacey in a $40 million lawsuit by “Star Trek: Discovery” actor Anthony Rapp on allegations dating back three decades.
Spacey had viewed the London case as a chance for redemption, telling German magazine Zeit last month that there were “people right now who are ready to hire me the moment I am cleared of these charges in London.”
veryGood! (62162)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Kevin McCarthy won't run for speaker again
- Paris is crawling with bedbugs. They're even riding the trains and a ferry.
- This expert on water scarcity would never call herself a 'genius.' But MacArthur would
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- All in: Drugmakers say yes, they'll negotiate with Medicare on price, so reluctantly
- DOJ says Veterans Affairs police officer struck man with baton 45 times at medical center
- Detroit-area mayor indicted on bribery charge alleging he took $50,000 to facilitate property sale
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- US warns of Chinese global disinformation campaign that could undermine peace and stability
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- I try to be a body-positive doctor. It's getting harder in the age of Ozempic
- Why this fight is so personal for the UAW workers on strike
- North Korea vows strong response to Pentagon report that calls it a ‘persistent’ threat
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Pope will open a big Vatican meeting as battle lines are drawn on his reform project
- Police identify suspect in Wichita woman's murder 34 years after her death
- Pentagon comptroller warns Congress that funds for Ukraine are running low
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
Historic low: Less than 20,000 Tampa Bay Rays fans showed up to the team's first playoff game
All in: Drugmakers say yes, they'll negotiate with Medicare on price, so reluctantly
Suspect charged in rapper Tupac Shakur’s fatal shooting will appear in a court in Las Vegas
Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
Nearly 2,000 reports of UFO sightings surface ranging from orbs, disks and fireballs
'A real tight-knit group:' Military unit mourns after 2 soldiers killed in Alaska vehicle crash
US adds another option for fall COVID vaccination with updated Novavax shots