Current:Home > ContactKevin Costner gets epic standing ovation for 'Horizon: An American Saga,' moved to tears -Capitatum
Kevin Costner gets epic standing ovation for 'Horizon: An American Saga,' moved to tears
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 05:40:50
Kevin Costner got emotional during a prolonged standing ovation for his new film, "Horizon: An American Saga," at Cannes Film Festival.
The actor received a warm reception to his first directorial effort in 11 years at the festival on Sunday with the crowd chanting and clapping for between 7 and 11 minutes, which brought the 69-year-old to tears, as seen in video shared by Variety.
"I'm sorry you had to clap that long for me to understand that I should speak,” said Costner, according to the Huffington Post and People.
The film is the first part of four installments of Costner's upcoming Western "Horizon: An American Saga." The "Yellowstone" actor directs, produces, co-writes and stars in the film series.
"Such good people. Such a good moment, not just for me, but for the actors who came with me, for people who believed in me, who continued to work," Costner continued, according to the outlets. "It's a funny business, and I'm so glad I found it. There's no place like here.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
"I'll never forget this," he told the audience, including his kids in the front row. "Neither will my children."
After the screening, Costner posed with five of his seven children: Cayden Costner, 17, Lily Costner, 37, Grace Costner, 13, Hayes Costner, 15, and Annie Costner, 40.
Costner's last directing effort was 2003's "Open Range."
"Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter 1" is set for a United States release on June 28. "Chapter 2," is set for Aug. 16.
The series was developed amid Costner's drama-filled role in the Paramount Network series "Yellowstone," in which he played patriarch John Dutton through the first half of Season 5.
Costner said he was open to returning to the Western drama despite his surprise exit after five seasons.
"I'd like to be able to do it but we haven't been able to," Costner told Entertainment Tonight last month of his hopes to return. "I thought I was going to make seven (seasons) but right now we're at five."
He added: "Maybe this will circle back to me. If it does and I feel really comfortable with (it), I'd love to do it."
The Oscar-winning actor spoke about his "Yellowstone" departure for the first time during a September child support hearing in Santa Barbara, California. The hearing stemmed from Costner's divorce from Christine Baumgartner, which was finalized in February.
Costner testified that a "long, hard-fought negotiation" over splitting Season 5 of the Western saga into two parts was the final straw forcing his decision to leave the Paramount Network series, according to People and Fox News.
The second half of Season 5 is expected to drop in November.
Contributing: Naledi Ushe
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Dying mother of Israeli hostage Noa Argamani pleads for her release
- A secret trip by Henry Kissinger grew into a half-century-long relationship with China
- Illinois appeals court affirms actor Jussie Smollett’s convictions and jail sentence
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Israeli survivors of the Oct. 7 music festival attack seek to cope with trauma at a Cyprus retreat
- The 40 Most Popular Amazon Items E! Readers Bought Last Month
- Blue over ‘G0BLUE': University of Michigan grad sues after losing license plate
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Ohio Fails to Pass Restrictions on College Teaching About Climate Policies
Ranking
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- The Essentials: Dove Cameron gets vulnerable on 'Alchemical.' Here are her writing musts
- Man pleads guilty to 2022 firebombing of Wisconsin anti-abortion office
- Texas judge rips into Biden administration’s handling of border in dispute over razor wire barrier
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- How Glee’s Kevin McHale and Jenna Ushkowitz’s New Project Will Honor Naya Rivera’s Voice
- Coach Outlet’s 12 Days of Deals Sale: Unwrap Up to 70% Off on Bags & More this Holiday Season
- Florida Supreme Court rules police using deadly force not protected by Marsy’s Law
Recommendation
Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
Sandra Day O'Connor showed sense of humor during interaction with ex-Commanders RB
Taylor Swift’s Rep Slams Joe Alwyn Marriage Rumors
Police raid Moscow gay bars after a Supreme Court ruling labeled LGBTQ+ movement ‘extremist’
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Indianapolis police officer fatally shoots man who was holding bleeding woman inside semitruck
Texas judge rips into Biden administration’s handling of border in dispute over razor wire barrier
Macaulay Culkin and Brenda Song's Sons Make First Public Appearance at Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony