Current:Home > FinanceMeghan Markle and Prince Harry's Archewell Foundation Speaks Out on Delinquency Debacle -Capitatum
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Archewell Foundation Speaks Out on Delinquency Debacle
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:51:31
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's charity is setting the record straight after being declared "delinquent" by state officials.
An Archewell Foundation spokesperson told E! News that the organization has been compliant with California's Registry of Charities and Fundraisers despite recently receiving a notice for what Attorney General Rob Bonta described as "failing to submit required annual report(s) and/or renewal fees."
"We have diligently investigated the situation and can confirm that The Archewell Foundation remains fully compliant and in good standing," the rep said in a May 14 statement. "Due payments were made promptly and in accordance with the IRS's processes and procedures. Furthermore, all necessary paperwork had been filed by the Foundation without error or wrongdoing."
In a documents previously obtained by E! News, Archewell Foundation—which was founded by Meghan and Harry in 2020 after the couple stepped back from their duties as senior royals—was ordered to stop raising and spending money due to its "delinquent" status with the registry.
"An organization that is listed as delinquent is not in good standing," a notice dated May 3 and addressed to Archewell Foundation read, "and is prohibited from engaging in conduct for which registration is required, including soliciting or disbursing charitable funds."
The letter continued, "The organization may also be subject to penalties and its registration may be suspended or revoked by the Registry."
However, a source close to Archewell Foundation told E! News May 13 that the charity had filed on time. In the face of the mix-up, the insider said the foundation mailed a new check for renewal fees to the registry.
News of the delinquency notice came one day after Meghan and Harry—who share son Archie Harrison, 5, and daughter Lilibet "Lili" Diana, 2—wrapped up their first visit to Nigeria. The three-day trip was the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's first international tour since their 2020 relocation to California from the U.K.
"We are honored to have our first visit to Nigeria be here with all of you," Meghan told the crowd while visiting a local school on May 10, per People. "We believe in you, we believe in your teachers and we believe in your ability to continue to tell your stories and to just be honest with each other."
For more royals news, keep reading.
On April 26, nearly three months after sharing his cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace announced that Charles will return to public-facing duties.
The queen consort attended the Royal Maundy Service on March 28 in place of King Charles III, making her the first spouse of the Monarch to continue the ancient tradition.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (91)
Related
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Could trad wives, influencers have sparked the red wave among female voters?
- Jimmy Kimmel, more late-night hosts 'shocked' by Trump Cabinet picks: 'Goblins and weirdos'
- Whoopi Goldberg calling herself 'a working person' garners criticism from 'The View' fans
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Video ‘bares’ all: Insurers say bear that damaged luxury cars was actually a person in a costume
- Japan to resume V-22 flights after inquiry finds pilot error caused accident
- Are Dancing with the Stars’ Jenn Tran and Sasha Farber Living Together? She Says…
- Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
- See Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani's Winning NFL Outing With Kids Zuma and Apollo
Ranking
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- UConn, Kansas State among five women's college basketball games to watch this weekend
- Man who stole and laundered roughly $1B in bitcoin is sentenced to 5 years in prison
- Padma Lakshmi, John Boyega, Hunter Schafer star in Pirelli's 2025 calendar: See the photos
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- NFL Week 11 picks straight up and against spread: Will Bills hand Chiefs first loss of season?
- 'Wanted' posters plastered around University of Rochester target Jewish faculty members
- She's a trans actress and 'a warrior.' Now, this 'Emilia Pérez' star could make history.
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Mike Tyson concedes the role of villain to young foe in 58-year-old’s fight with Jake Paul
Don't Miss Cameron Diaz's Return to the Big Screen Alongside Jamie Foxx in Back in Action Trailer
Ford agrees to pay up to $165 million penalty to US government for moving too slowly on recalls
Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
Video ‘bares’ all: Insurers say bear that damaged luxury cars was actually a person in a costume
Louisiana man kills himself and his 1-year-old daughter after a pursuit
Surprise bids revive hope for offshore wind in Gulf of Mexico after feds cancel lease sale