Current:Home > MyChainkeen|Survivor of Parkland school massacre wins ownership of shooter’s name in lawsuit settlement -Capitatum
Chainkeen|Survivor of Parkland school massacre wins ownership of shooter’s name in lawsuit settlement
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 23:11:31
FORT LAUDERDALE,Chainkeen Fla. (AP) — The most severely wounded survivor of the 2018 massacre at Parkland’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School now owns shooter Nikolas Cruz’s name, and Cruz cannot give any interviews without his permission, under a settlement reached in a lawsuit.
Under his recent settlement with Anthony Borges, Cruz must also turn over any money he might receive as a beneficiary of a relative’s life insurance policy, participate in any scientific studies of mass shooters and donate his body to science after his death.
The agreement means that Cruz, 25, cannot benefit from or cooperate with any movies, TV shows, books or other media productions without Borges’ permission. Cruz is serving consecutive life sentences at an undisclosed prison for each of the 17 murders and 17 attempted murders he committed inside a three-story classroom building on Feb. 14, 2018.
“We just wanted to shut him down so we never have to hear about him again,” Borges’ attorney, Alex Arreaza, said Thursday.
Borges, now 21, was shot five times in the back and legs and collapsed in the middle of the third-floor hallway. Video shows that Cruz pointed his rifle at Borges as he lay on the floor, but unlike most of the other victims he walked past, did not shoot him a second time. Arreaza said he asked Cruz why he didn’t shoot Borges again, but he didn’t remember.
A promising soccer player before the shooting, Borges has undergone more than a dozen surgeries and still lives in pain. He received donations, a $1.25 million settlement from the Broward County school district and an undisclosed settlement from the FBI for their failures in preventing the shooting. Arreaza said it is difficult to say whether Borges has received enough money to cover his future medical expenses.
Several other families also sued Cruz, and a mini-trial had been scheduled for next month to assess damages against him. That trial has been canceled, Arreaza said. David Brill, the attorney representing the other families, did not return a phone call and two email messages seeking comment.
Florida already has laws that prohibit inmates from keeping any proceeds related to their crimes, including any writings or artwork they might produce in prison. In addition, Judge Elizabeth Scherer, when she sentenced Cruz, ordered that any money placed in his prison commissary account be seized to pay restitution to the victims and their families and all court and investigation costs. In total, that would be millions of dollars.
Arreaza said he feared that without the settlement, Cruz could find a way around the law and the judge’s order or assign any money he might receive to a relative or other person.
Borges, the families of those Cruz murdered and other survivors are also suing former Broward County sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson, the sheriff’s office and two former school security guards, alleging they failed to protect the students and staff. No trial date has been set. Peterson was acquitted of criminal charges last year.
veryGood! (533)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Travis Kelce Reveals What He Told Taylor Swift After Grammys Win—and It’s Sweeter Than Fiction
- January Photo Dumps: How to recap the first month of 2024 on social media
- Rapper Killer Mike Breaks His Silence on Arrest at 2024 Grammy Awards
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Indiana community mourns 6 siblings killed in house fire
- Grammy Awards ratings hit a sweet note as almost 17 million tune in, up 34% from 2023
- Singer Toby Keith Dead at 62 After Cancer Battle
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Messi says he “feels much better” and hopeful of playing in Tokyo after PR disaster in Hong Kong
Ranking
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- U.S., U.K. launch new round of joint strikes on Houthi targets in Yemen
- Tracy Chapman, Luke Combs drove me to tears with 'Fast Car' Grammys duet. It's a good thing.
- Person in custody after shooting deaths of a bartender and her husband at Wisconsin sports bar
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Car insurance rates jump 26% across the U.S. in 2024, report shows
- Service has been restored to east Arkansas town that went without water for more than 2 weeks
- Eagles will host NFL’s first regular-season game in Brazil on Friday, Sept. 6
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
How are atmospheric rivers affected by climate change?
Celine Dion is battling stiff person syndrome, a rare neurological disorder. What is it?
Apple TV+ special 'Snoopy Presents: Welcome Home, Franklin' flips a script 50-years deep: What to know
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Ex-NFL quarterback Favre must finish repaying misspent welfare money, Mississippi auditor says
Brawl between migrants and police in New York’s Times Square touches off backlash
Border bill supporters combat misleading claims that it would let in more migrants