Current:Home > MyEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Election board finds no pattern of nomination signature fraud in Rhode Island US House race -Capitatum
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Election board finds no pattern of nomination signature fraud in Rhode Island US House race
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 23:11:34
PROVIDENCE,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center R.I. (AP) — The Rhode Island Board of Elections said Tuesday that its review of nomination signatures submitted by the congressional campaign of Lt. Gov. Sabina Matos found “no obvious pattern of fraud,” but will continue to investigate to protect the integrity of the democratic process.
The review was conducted after election officials in three communities in the 1st Congressional District asked local police departments to investigate suspected fraudulent signatures on nomination papers submitted by the Matos campaign. The state attorney general and state police then got involved in the investigation.
The nomination papers allegedly included the names of dead people and some from people who said their names were forged.
Despite the alleged fraud, the board confirmed that Matos’s campaign had collected more than enough voter signatures to qualify for the Sept. 5 primary ballot to seek the Democratic nomination in the race to succeed former Rep. David Cicilline.
Cicilline stepped down earlier this summer to become the president and CEO of the Rhode Island Foundation.
The board voted to continue investigating and will issue subpoenas to all of the people who collected signatures for Matos, but not until after the primary so as not to influence the outcome of the special election.
“Continuing on this parallel path to the attorney general will lead to some chaos in election,” Board Vice Chairman David Sholes said, noting that early voting begins Wednesday.
Matos, one of a dozen Democrats running to replace Cicilline, blamed the questionable signatures on an outisde vendor hired by her campaign.
“The Board of Elections has affirmed what my campaign has said all along and what the Secretary of State previously found: despite being the victim of a vendor who lied to my campaign, we submitted more than enough valid signatures to qualify for the ballot,” Matos said in a statement Tuesday.
Matos was the presumed front-runner and her Democratic opponents used the scandal to attack her.
“It is unfortunate that the guys who are running against me have used this as an opportunity to attempt to smear my reputation and call into question our democratic process,” she said.
Matos’ campaign has said it is cooperating with the attorney general’s investigation. A spokesperson for the attorney general said Tuesday that the investigation is ongoing.
Attorney General Peter Neronha has said his office would examine the nomination forms the Matos campaign submitted in every municipality in the district.
veryGood! (18697)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- South Carolina death row inmate told to choose between execution methods
- TikToker Taylor Rousseau Grigg Shared Heartbreaking Birthday Message One Month Before Her Death
- Céline Dion Shares Emotional Reaction to Kelly Clarkson's My Heart Will Go On Cover
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Honolulu morgue aims to start giving families answers faster with new deputy
- NCAA cracking down on weapon gestures toward opponents in college football
- Is Chris Pine Returning for Princess Diaries 3? He Says...
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Sandbags, traffic, boarded-up windows: Photos show Florida bracing for Hurricane Milton
Ranking
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- October Prime Day 2024: Fetch the 29 Best Pet Deals & Score Huge Savings on Furbo, Purina, Bissell & More
- Federal judge in Alabama hears request to block 3rd nitrogen execution
- When is an interview too tough? CBS News grappling with question after Dokoupil interview
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Man charged with terroristic threats after saying he would ‘shoot up’ a synagogue
- Election certification is a traditionally routine duty that has become politicized in the Trump era
- EPA reaches $4.2M settlement over 2019 explosion, fire at major Philadelphia refinery
Recommendation
Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
Military board substantiates misconduct but declines to fire Marine who adopted Afghan orphan
Proof Taylor Swift Is a Member of Travis Kelce's Squad With His Friends
NFL power rankings Week 6: Commanders among rising teams led by rookie quarterback
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
South Carolina death row inmate told to choose between execution methods
Boston Red Sox pitching legend Luis Tiant dies at age 83
Firefighters still on hand more than a week after start of trash fire in Maine