Current:Home > MySpaceX launches rescue mission for 2 NASA astronauts who are stuck in space until next year -Capitatum
SpaceX launches rescue mission for 2 NASA astronauts who are stuck in space until next year
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:10:15
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — SpaceX launched a rescue mission for the two stuck astronauts at the International Space Station on Saturday, sending up a downsized crew to bring them home but not until next year.
The capsule rocketed toward orbit to fetch the test pilots whose Boeing spacecraft returned to Earth empty earlier this month because of safety concerns. The switch in rides left it to NASA’s Nick Hague and Russia’s Alexander Gorbunov to retrieve Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams.
Since NASA rotates space station crews approximately every six months, this newly launched flight with two empty seats reserved for Wilmore and Williams won’t return until late February. Officials said there wasn’t a way to bring them back earlier on SpaceX without interrupting other scheduled missions.
By the time they return, the pair will have logged more than eight months in space. They expected to be gone just a week when they signed up for Boeing’s first astronaut flight that launched in June.
NASA ultimately decided that Boeing’s Starliner was too risky after a cascade of thruster troubles and helium leaks marred its trip to the orbiting complex. The space agency cut two astronauts from this SpaceX launch to make room on the return leg for Wilmore and Williams.
Williams has since been promoted to commander of the space station, which will soon be back to its normal population of seven. Once Hague and Gorbunov arrive this weekend, four astronauts living there since March can leave in their own SpaceX capsule. Their homecoming was delayed a month by Starliner’s turmoil.
Hague noted before the flight that change is the one constant in human spaceflight.
“There’s always something that is changing. Maybe this time it’s been a little more visible to the public,” he said.
Hague was thrust into the commander’s job for the rescue mission based on his experience and handling of a launch emergency six years ago. The Russian rocket failed shortly after liftoff, and the capsule carrying him and a cosmonaut catapulted off the top to safety.
Rookie NASA astronaut Zena Cardman and veteran space flier Stephanie Wilson were pulled from this flight after NASA opted to go with SpaceX to bring the stuck astronauts home. The space agency said both would be eligible to fly on future missions. Gorbunov remained under an exchange agreement between NASA and the Russian Space Agency.
“I don’t know exactly when my launch to space will be, but I know that I will get there,” Cardman said from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, where she took part in the launch livestream.
Hague acknowledged the challenges of launching with half a crew and returning with two astronauts trained on another spacecraft.
“We’ve got a dynamic challenge ahead of us,” Hague said after arriving from Houston last weekend. “We know each other and we’re professionals and we step up and do what’s asked of us.”
SpaceX has long been the leader in NASA’s commercial crew program, established as the space shuttles were retiring more than a decade ago. SpaceX beat Boeing in delivering astronauts to the space station in 2020 and it’s now up to 10 crew flights for NASA.
Boeing has struggled with a variety of issues over the years, repeating a Starliner test flight with no one on board after the first one veered off course. The Starliner that left Wilmore and Williams in space landed without any issues in the New Mexico desert on Sept. 6, and has since returned to Kennedy Space Center. A week ago, Boeing’s defense and space chief was replaced.
Delayed by Hurricane Helene pounding Florida, the latest SpaceX liftoff marked the first for astronauts from Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station. SpaceX took over the old Titan rocket pad nearly two decades ago and used it for satellite launches, while flying crews from Kennedy’s former Apollo and shuttle pad next door. The company wanted more flexibility as more Falcon rockets soared.
___
The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Science and Educational Media Group. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
veryGood! (66)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Police shift focus in search for Kentucky highway shooting suspect: 'Boots on the ground'
- First and 10: Texas has an Arch Manning problem. Is he the quarterback or Quinn Ewers?
- A Dangerous Chemical Is Fouling Niagara Falls’ Air. New York State Hasn’t Put a Stop to It
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
- New program will help inmates earn high school diplomas with tablets
- Fire destroys 105-year-old post office on Standing Rock Reservation
- When does 'The Penguin' come out? Release date, cast, where to watch the new 'Batman' series
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Who's that baby hippo on your timeline? Meet the wet, chubby 'lifestyle icon' captivating the internet
Ranking
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- JD Souther, a singer-songwriter who penned hits for the Eagles and Linda Ronstadt, dies at 78
- A bewildered seal found itself in the mouth of a humpback whale
- Man now faces murder charge for police pursuit crash that killed Missouri officer
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Nick Cannon Shares Update on Ex Mariah Carey After Deaths of Her Mother and Sister
- Tallulah Willis Details Painful Days Amid Dad Bruce Willis' Health Battle
- Dancing With the Stars' Anna Delvey Reveals Her Hidden Talent—And It's Not Reinventing Herself
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
Georgia prosecutors drop all 15 counts of money laundering against 3 ‘Cop City’ activists
NFL power rankings Week 3: Chiefs still No. 1, but top five overhaul occurs after chaotic weekend
NFL power rankings Week 3: Chiefs still No. 1, but top five overhaul occurs after chaotic weekend
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
What to make of the Pac-12, Georgia? Who wins Week 4 showdowns? College Football Fix discusses
2-year-old fatally struck by car walked onto highway after parents put her to bed
RHOSLC Alum Monica Garcia Returning to TV in Villainous New Role