Current:Home > InvestIn a win for Mexico, US will expand areas for migrants to apply online for entry at southern border -Capitatum
In a win for Mexico, US will expand areas for migrants to apply online for entry at southern border
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 23:35:58
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Biden administration will expand areas where migrants can apply online for appointments to enter the United States to a large swath of southern Mexico, officials said Saturday, potentially easing strains on the Mexican government and lessening dangers for people trying to reach the U.S. border to claim asylum.
Migrants will be able to schedule appointments on the CBP One app from the states of Chiapas and Tabasco, extending the zone from northern and central Mexico, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said. The move satisfies a request of Mexico, an increasingly close partner of the U.S. in efforts to control extraordinary migration flows.
The change will spare migrants from traveling north through Mexico to get one of 1,450 appointments made available daily, CBP said. The agency said it will happen soon but did not give a date.
“We consistently engage with our partners in the Government of Mexico and work together to adjust policies and practices in response to the latest migration trends and security needs,” CBP said in a statement.
The statement confirmed remarks a day earlier by Mexico’s Foreign Affairs Secretary Alicia Bárcena, who said closer relations with the United States cut migration sharply from late last year.
U.S. officials have said increased Mexican enforcement is largely responsible for a sharp drop in U.S. arrests for illegal border crossings during the first half of this year. Mexican officials have stepped up their presence at highway checkpoints and on railroads leading to the U.S. border, returning most to southern Mexico.
In June, the U.S. temporarily suspended asylum processing for those who enter the country illegally, making CBP One of the only avenues for migrants to enter the U.S. to seek asylum and further driving down illegal entries. U.S. officials said arrests for illegal crossings plunged 30% in July from the previous month to the lowest level of Joe Biden’s presidency and the lowest since September 2020.
“We have managed to decompress our (northern) border in a very meaningful way and that has helped ... our relationship with the United States be very, very dynamic and very positive,” Bárcena said Friday.
More than 680,000 people scheduled CBP One appointments at eight Mexican land crossings with the U.S. from its introduction in January 2023 through June. The top nationalities are Venezuelan, Cuban and Haitian. U.S. authorities recently limited slots for Mexicans due to the high number of applicants from the country.
The perils of traveling through Mexico to be kidnapped or robbed has prompted many migrants to fly to northern border cities like Tijuana for their CBP One appointments once they reach the southernmost point from which they can apply — until now, Mexico City.
Migrants generally enter Mexico in Chiapas or Tabasco from Guatemala. Mexico City may offer more job opportunities and relative safety but the cost of living is higher, prompting some to live in informal camps in the nation’s capital.
___
Santana reported from Washington. Associated Press writer Elliot Spagat in San Diego contributed to this report.
veryGood! (7426)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Grammy winner Allison Russell discusses controversy surrounding Tennessee lawmakers blocking a resolution honoring her
- Single-engine plane crashes at a small New Hampshire airport and no injuries are reported
- How to watch and stream 'Where is Wendy Williams?' documentary on Lifetime
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Star Trek Actor Kenneth Mitchell Dead at 49
- South Carolina voter exit polls show how Trump won state's 2024 Republican primary
- Story of Jackie Robinson's stolen statue remains one of the most inspirational in nation
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- See which stars went barefoot, Ayo Edebiri's Beyoncé moment and more SAG fashion wows
Ranking
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Takeaways from South Carolina primary: Donald Trump’s Republican home field advantage is everywhere
- Travis Kelce Dances to Taylor Swift's Love Story at Chiefs Party in Las Vegas After Australia Visit
- You're Invited Inside the 2024 SAG Awards After-Party With Jon Hamm, Joey King and More
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Pretty Little Liars' Shay Mitchell Praises Pregnant Ashley Benson Amid Her Journey to Motherhood
- Brooklyn preacher goes on trial for fraud charges prosecutors say fueled lavish lifestyle
- A private island off the Florida Keys for sale at $75 million: It includes multiple houses
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Arizona sector becomes No. 1 hotspot for migrant crossings, despite border walls and treacherous terrain
California governor launches ads to fight abortion travel bans
A Utah mom is charged in her husband's death. Did she poison him with a cocktail?
Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
Air Force member in critical condition after setting himself on fire outside Israeli embassy in DC
Rasheda Ali discusses her concerns over sons' exposure to head trauma in combat sports
He didn't want his sister to die. But her suffering helped him understand her choice