Current:Home > MyNorwegian mass killer begins second attempt to sue state for alleged breach of human rights -Capitatum
Norwegian mass killer begins second attempt to sue state for alleged breach of human rights
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 06:54:07
STAVANGER, Norway (AP) — Norwegian right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a bombing and shooting rampage in 2011, launched his second attempt at suing the state on Monday, accusing the Justice Ministry of breaching his human rights.
Breivik, who has changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, claims that the isolation he’s been placed under since he started serving his prison sentence in 2012 amounts to inhumane punishment under the European Convention on Human Rights. He failed in a similar attempt in 2016 and 2017, when his appeal was ultimately slapped down by the European Court of Justice.
His lawyer, Øystein Storrvik, told The Associated Press that Breivik’s mental health has suffered from additional years in solitary confinement since then, leaving him “suicidal” and dependent on antidepressants. Storrvik said he would argue for an easing of restrictions and more contact with other inmates, and that he believed 12 1/2 years in isolation was “unique” in recent European judicial history.
Storrvik told the court on Monday that Breivik had hoped he could have had some form of “human relations” when he was moved from Skien prison to a spacious two-story complex in Ringerike prison near Oslo in 2022, but that the cells had been “turned into an isolation ward.”
In 2012, Breivik was convicted of mass murder and terrorism for a bombing that killed eight people in the government block in Oslo, and a shooting massacre on Utøya island where he gunned down 69 people at a holiday camp for youth activists from the center-left Labor Party.
Breivik, who described himself during the trial as an anti-Muslim crusader, pleaded not guilty, claiming he was acting in self defense to protect Norway from multiculturalism.
He received Norway’s most severe sentence at the time: detention for 21 years, with a provision to hold him indefinitely if he is still considered dangerous.
“It is no exaggeration to say that if the court does not put its foot down, then he will be sentenced to life in prison and will never be able to relate to other people,” Storrvik told the court Monday, according to Norwegian news agency NTB.
Breivik entered the makeshift courtroom in the gymnasium of Ringerike prison wearing a dark suit and tie, flanked by Storrvik. He did not flash a Nazi salute as he has done in court appearances in the past.
The government rejects Breivik’s claim that his prison conditions violate human rights.
A number of relaxations have been made in the restrictions Breivik is subject to, according to government lawyer Andreas Hjetland, who represents the Justice Ministry in the case, but the conditions are necessary for security.
Breivik has so far shown himself to be unreceptive to rehabilitative work according to a written statement from Hjetland to the court ahead of the trial, which is scheduled to end on Friday.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Who is playing in the Big 12 Championship game? A timeline of league's tiebreaker confusion
- Coping with Parkinson's on steroids, Virginia Rep. Jennifer Wexton navigates exhausting and gridlocked Congress
- Jordan Fisher goes into ‘Hadestown’ on Broadway, ‘stretching every creative muscle’
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Aaron Nola agrees to seven-year, $172 million contract to return to Phillies
- Sharon Osbourne says she 'lost 42 pounds' since Ozempic, can't gain weight: 'I'm too gaunt'
- Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter Dead at 96
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- Biden is spending his 81st birthday honoring White House tradition of pardoning Thanksgiving turkeys
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Right-wing populist Milei set to take Argentina down uncharted path: ‘No room for lukewarm measures’
- Reactions to the death of Rosalynn Carter, former first lady and global humanitarian
- Buffalo Bills safety Taylor Rapp carted off field in ambulance after making tackle
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Kesha changes Sean 'Diddy' Combs reference in 'Tik Tok' lyric after Cassie's abuse lawsuit
- NFL playoff picture: Browns, Cowboys both rise after Week 11
- Justin Fields runs for 104 yards and passes for 169 in his return. Bears lose to Lions 31-26
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Vogt resigns as CEO of Cruise following safety concerns over self-driving vehicles
Want to save money for Thanksgiving? Here are some ideas for a cheaper holiday dinner
Got fall allergies? Here's everything you need to know about Benadryl.
Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
Aaron Nola returns to Phillies on 7-year deal, AP source says
Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter Dead at 96
Ford, Stellantis, and GM workers overwhelmingly ratify new contracts that raise pay across industry