Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Millions of dollars of psychedelic mushrooms seized in a Connecticut bust -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Millions of dollars of psychedelic mushrooms seized in a Connecticut bust
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 07:58:12
Law enforcement officials came across a staggering find after being tipped off about possible drug-dealing: dozens of dog-food-size bags of psychedelic mushrooms worth an estimated $8.5 million at a home in rural Connecticut.
A drug task force including federal,SafeX Pro Exchange state and local authorities raided the property Thursday in Burlington, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) west of Hartford, and charged a 21-year-old man with operating a drug factory and possession with intent to sell/distribute narcotics.
The bust came as two states and several cities in the U.S. have decriminalized psychedelic mushrooms and their active ingredient, psilocybin, which along with other psychedelics have emerged as an alternative treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder and other mental illnesses. About 20 other states have active legislation on changing laws on psychedelic drugs, according to Psychedelic Alpha, a group that tracks such legislation. In Connecticut, an attempt this year to decriminalize possession of small amounts of psilocybin died in the state Senate.
Authorities said they received a tip that the resident of the Burlington home was operating a psilocybin mushroom growing operation. Federal, state and local law enforcement officials went to the property Thursday morning and said they saw ventilation equipment on the home that was consistent with items used in “clandestine laboratories.”
The man who was later arrested was at the home, and he showed them a detached garage where police said they saw a large mushroom growing operation. The man, however, said the mushrooms were not illegal. He also declined to consent to a search of the home.
Authorities then got a search warrant and found what they called psilocybin-containing mushrooms in various stages of growth.
State police released photos showing dozens of bags allegedly containing mushrooms lined up outside the home as well as stacked on metal shelving throughout the home’s interior. The photos also show portable ventilators and other equipment.
After police entered the home with the warrant, the man “admitted to investigators that the mushrooms were in fact psilocybin, which is a Schedule 1 controlled substance,” state police said in a statement. “A Schedule 1 controlled substance is defined as drugs, substances and chemicals that are not currently accepted for medical use and have a high potential for abuse.”
The man posted $250,000 bail and was ordered to appear in state court in New Britain on Nov. 16. Contact information for him could not be found in public records, and court records did not list a lawyer for him. Phone numbers listed in public records for several potential relatives of the man were no longer in service.
Oregon voters approved decriminalizing small amounts of psychedelics in 2020, and separately were the first to approve the supervised use of psilocybin in a therapeutic setting. Two years later, Colorado voters passed a ballot measure to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms and to create state-regulated centers where participants can experience the drug under supervision.
Last month, California Gov. Gavin Newsom vetoed a bill that would have decriminalized the possession and personal use of several hallucinogens, including psychedelic mushrooms, saying the state first needed regulated guidelines.
The federal Food and Drug Administration designated psilocybin as a “breakthrough therapy” for treatment-resistant depression in 2019 and recently published a draft guideline on using psychedelics in clinical trials. There has also been a shift in public opinion in support of therapeutic use of psychedelics, including military veterans with trauma and other illnesses.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- Mohamed Al-Fayed, Late Father of Princess Diana's Former Boyfriend Dodi Fayed, Accused of Rape
- Hailey Bieber Is Glowing in New Photo After Welcoming Baby Boy With Justin Bieber
- US troops finish deployment to remote Alaska island amid spike in Russian military activity
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- NFL Week 3 picks straight up and against spread: Will Ravens beat Cowboys for first win?
- How to Make Your NFL Outfit Stadium Suite-Worthy: Makeup, Nails, and Jewelry
- Prosecutors decline to charge a man who killed his neighbor during a deadly dispute in Hawaii
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- Whoa! 'Golden Bachelorette' first impression fails, including that runaway horse
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- As fire raged nearby, a tiny town’s zoo animals were driven to safety
- Zach Bryan apologizes for 'drunkenly' comparing Taylor Swift and Kanye West
- White officer who fatally shot Black man shouldn’t have been in his backyard, judge rules in suit
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- 'Hero' 12-year-old boy shot and killed bear as it attacked his father in Wisconsin, report says
- Wheel of Fortune Contestants' Bad Luck Curse Shocked Even Ryan Seacrest
- Civil rights groups call on major corporations to stick with DEI programs
Recommendation
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Jake Paul says Mike Tyson wasn't the only option for the Netflix fight. He offers details.
Former Bad Boy Rapper Shyne Barrow Says Sean Diddy Combs Destroyed His Life
Breece Hall vs. Braelon Allen stats in Week 3: Fantasy football outlook for Jets RBs
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Japan celebrates as Ohtani becomes the first major leaguer to reach 50-50 milestone
Giant, flying Joro spiders make creepy arrival in Pennsylvania just in time for Halloween
North Carolina Republican governor candidate Mark Robinson vows to stay in race despite media report