Current:Home > MarketsFrances Tiafoe pushes Carlos Alcaraz to brink before falling in five sets -Capitatum
Frances Tiafoe pushes Carlos Alcaraz to brink before falling in five sets
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:36:53
American Frances Tiafoe, who has been in the midst of an awful slump this season, pushed defending Wimbledon champion Carlos Alcaraz to the brink on Friday before ultimately falling in five sets.
Taking advantage of an out-of-sorts Alcaraz for much of the afternoon, Tiafoe nearly pulled off the year’s biggest upset and had a chance to close the door in the fourth-set tiebreaker.
But Alcaraz, as he so often has during his young career, found a way to elevate his game under pressure and breezed through the tiebreak before taking total command in the fifth set to finish off a 5-7, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6, 6-2 win.
The 21-year old Alcaraz improved to 12-1 in his career in fifth sets. Tiafoe has now had to absorb two of those heartbreaking losses, having lost their previous meeting in the 2022 US Open semifinals that also went the distance.
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast.Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
Tiafoe was hoping to use the opportunity against Alcaraz to turn around what has been an abysmal season and playfully said after his second-round victory that he was “going to come after him.”
For a couple hours, Tiafoe followed through on that promise, especially on return where he was able to consistently make Alcaraz uncomfortable with his depth and power. Despite being down an early break, Tiafoe managed to win the first set and then took command in the third with a combination of power and touch that left Alcaraz frustrated and questioning his shot selection.
But Alcaraz had all the answers in the clutch, keeping his potential title defense on track. Alcaraz is already looking for a fourth Grand Slam title in his young career, having won the French Open last month.
Tiafoe's competitiveness was a bit of a surprise given his recent struggles. He came into Wimbledon with a 13-14 record this season and had pulled out of a warm-up event at Queen’s Club in London after slipping on the grass and injuring his right knee, which has had a sleeve over it throughout the tournament.
Even at Wimbledon, it looked like Tiafoe was headed for an early exit when he fell behind two sets to love in the first round against Matteo Arnaldi. After that match, Tiafoe made waves when he told the media he had been losing to “clowns.”
“I hate to say it, but I’m just gonna be honest with you guys,” Tiafoe said. “I took the game for granted and got a little too comfortable.”
Tiafoe has been struggling with his form since last year’s Wimbledon when he got blown off the court in the third round by Grigor Dimitrov. After the season, he parted ways with coach Wayne Ferreira, who had helped Tiafoe play the best tennis of his career including his surprising run to the 2022 US Open semifinals.
A native of College Park, Maryland, Tiafoe will now return to North America for the hardcourt season. Tiafoe qualified for the Paris Olympics, which will be played on the clay at Roland Garros, but chose instead to enter tournaments in Atlanta and Washington, D.C., to start preparations for the US Open.
veryGood! (2738)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Judge sentences former Illinois child welfare worker to jail in boy’s death
- Alex Jones seeks permission to convert his personal bankruptcy into a liquidation
- When is Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul fight? No new date requested yet after promoters' pledge
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Camera catches pilot landing helicopter on nesting site of protected birds in Florida
- Donald Trump joined TikTok with a UFC appearance video. He tried to ban the app as POTUS
- Judge dismisses attempted murder and other charges in state case against Paul Pelosi’s attacker
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Dolly Parton announces new Broadway musical 'Hello, I'm Dolly,' hitting the stage in 2026
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Bridgerton's Nicola Coughlan Addresses Fan Theory Sparked by Hidden Post-it Note
- Florida’s Supreme Court rejects state prosecutor’s bid to be reinstated after suspension by DeSantis
- Maps show how Tornado Alley has shifted in the U.S.
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Judge dismisses Native American challenge to $10B SunZia energy transmission project in Arizona
- Alex Jones seeks permission to convert his personal bankruptcy into a liquidation
- Disinformation campaign uses fake footage to claim attack on USS Eisenhower
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Chiefs cancel OTA session after player suffers 'medical emergency' in team meeting
Kids coming of age with social media offer sage advice for their younger peers
'Piece by Piece' trailer tells Pharrell Williams' story in LEGO form: 'A new type of film'
Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
Stereophonic cast brings 1970s band to life while making history
Who threw the 10 fastest pitches in MLB history?
In aftermath of hit on Caitlin Clark, ill-informed WNBA fans creating real danger to players