Current:Home > FinanceGiuliani’s lawyers after $148M defamation judgment seek to withdraw from his case -Capitatum
Giuliani’s lawyers after $148M defamation judgment seek to withdraw from his case
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 04:31:24
Follow AP’s coverage of the election and what happens next.
NEW YORK (AP) — Two attorneys representing Rudy Giuliani in a lawsuit related to a $148 million defamation judgment against him have asked a judge to remove them from the case over disagreements with the former New York City mayor.
The request in federal court comes a week after a judge ordered Giuliani to quickly turn over a car, an heirloom watch and other prized assets to two Georgia election workers who were awarded the judgment last year. Lawyers for the election workers, Ruby Freeman and her daughter, Wandrea “Shaye” Moss, say Giuliani has avoided turning over his assets.
In a filing late Wednesday, attorney Kenneth Caruso sought permission for himself and co-counsel David Labkowski to stop representing Giuliani.
Caruso wrote that lawyers may withdraw from representing clients when there is a “fundamental disagreement,” or when a client insists on presenting a claim that is not warranted under the law and cannot be supported by a good-faith argument, or when the client fails to cooperate.
Several paragraphs of the publicly posted filing are blacked out. The redacted version does not provide details on possible issues.
A representative for Giuliani didn’t immediately respond to an email and a phone call seeking comment.
Giuliani has until Monday to oppose the motion.
The massive defamation judgment stems from Giuliani’s role in pushing Trump’s unfounded claims that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from him.
The former mayor and longtime Trump ally has been defiant amid the collection efforts, which have stretched past an Oct. 29 deadline. He told reporters outside of court last week he was the victim of a “political vendetta.”
Giuliani, who has since been disbarred in New York and Washington, had falsely accused Freeman and Moss of ballot fraud, saying they snuck in ballots in suitcases, counted ballots multiple times and tampered with voting machines.
veryGood! (51)
Related
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- A neurological disorder stole her voice. Jennifer Wexton takes it back on the House floor.
- Records show deputy charged in Sonya Massey’s fatal shooting worked for 6 agencies in 4 years
- Mindy Cohn says 'The Facts of Life' reboot is 'very dead' because of 'greedy' co-star
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Pennsylvania State Police corporal shot, wounded while serving warrant
- Kamala Harris is embracing 'brat summer.' It could be cool or cringe. It's a fine line.
- Takeaways from AP’s investigation into DEA corruption, agent accused of rape
- 'Most Whopper
- Tarek El Moussa addresses Christina Hall's divorce news: 'We're here to help'
Ranking
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Mistrial declared in case of Indiana man accused of fatally shooting five, including pregnant woman
- Suburban Alabama school district appears headed toward state oversight
- Cartoonist Roz Chast to be honored at the Brooklyn Book Festival, which runs from Sept. 22-30
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- The Daily Money: What is $1,000 a month worth?
- CirKor Trading Center: The Importance of the US MSB License
- SSW management institute: Darryl Joel Dorfman Overview
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Watch: Whale of New Hampshire slams into fishing boat, hurling men into the Atlantic
Why Tennis Star Jannik Sinner Is Dropping Out of 2024 Paris Olympics
US growth likely picked up last quarter after a sluggish start to 2024, reflecting resilient economy
A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
Phoenix man sentenced to life in prison without parole after killing his parents and younger brother
Appeals judges rule against fund used to provide phone services for rural and low-income people
Is the Great Resignation 2.0 coming? Nearly 3 in 10 workers plan to quit this year: Survey