Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-Duchess Meghan, Prince Harry share emotional message after Senate hearing on online safety -Capitatum
SignalHub-Duchess Meghan, Prince Harry share emotional message after Senate hearing on online safety
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 07:57:32
Duchess Meghan and SignalHubPrince Harry are standing with the families of children negatively affected by the pitfalls of social media.
"We applaud the bravery and determination of the thousands of parents around the country whose advocacy resulted in this hearing," the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said in a statement on the Archwell Foundation's website Wednesday.
The couple's foundation has called for social media platforms to adopt better content-moderation policies and other fixes, saying modifications need to be made to addictive apps that can harm young people’s mental health.
"Over the past few years, we have spent time with many of these families, listening to their heartache and their hopes for the urgent change that is needed in the online space," Harry, 39, and Meghan, 42, continued. "This is an issue that transcends division and party lines, as we saw today at the Senate hearing.
"The best parenting in the world cannot keep children safe from these platforms," the statement read.
They ended their statement with a quote from a father whose child had been affected by the harmful aspects of social media: "If love could have saved them, all of our children would still be here. This is not the time to pass the buck of responsibility. It’s the time to make necessary change at the source to keep our children safe."
Congress goes after CEOs at hearing on social media and kids
Harry and Meghan's statement came after the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee's hearing on online safety for children on Wednesday.
In the middle of the tense Senate hearing on the dangers of social media, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg stood, turned around and faced families who have accused his platforms, Facebook and Instagram, of harming their children.
"I'm sorry for everything you have all been through," Zuckerberg said. "No one should go through the things that your families have suffered, and this is why we invest so much and we are going to continue doing industry-leading efforts to make sure no one has to go through the things your families have had to suffer."
The rare public apology came amid scathing criticism from lawmakers and child advocates who say the industry for years has failed to protect its most vulnerable users from abuse and exploitation.
Throughout the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, Congress chastised the leaders of some of the nation's top social media companies and called on them to take immediate steps to protect children and teens online.
TikTok, Snap, X and MetaCEOs grilled at tense Senate hearing on social media and kids
Last fall, Meghan and Harry spoke at a panel discussion coordinated by their Archewell Foundation in New York City as part of a second annual mental health awareness festival hosted by a nonprofit called Project Healthy Minds. The panel featured a handful of parents who lost their children due to mental health challenges tied to social media use. The parents spoke about their loss and how a community that the foundation has created to talk about these issues is helping them find support.
Harry said at the time the foundation has been bringing parents together through Zoom during the past year because many of them didn’t have the opportunity to connect with others who’ve gone through a similar tragedy.
"For us, the priority here is to turn pain into purpose," he said at the panel.
Contributing: Bailey Schulz, USA TODAY; Haleluya Hadero, The Associated Press
Prince Harry, Duchess Meghanspeak out on social media's effect on mental health: 'Children are dying'
veryGood! (61571)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Some Gen Xers can start dipping into retirement savings without penalty, but should you?
- Stranger Things Star Maya Hawke Shares Season 5 Update That Will Make the Wait Worth It
- Inspectors are supposed to visit all farmworker housing to ensure its safety, but some used FaceTime
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone dominates 400 hurdles, sets world record again
- 3 killed and 2 injured in shooting near University of Cincinnati campus, police say
- Where Is Desperate Housewives' Orson Hodge Now? Kyle MacLachlan Says…
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Restricted view seat at Taylor Swift's Eras Tour offers behind-the-scenes perk
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- TV personality Carlos Watson testifies in his trial over collapse of startup Ozy Media
- Simone Biles and Suni Lee Share Why 2024 Paris Olympics Are a Redemption Tour
- How Erin Andrews' Cancer and Fertility Journey Changed Her Relationship With Husband Jarret Stoll
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- TV personality Carlos Watson testifies in his trial over collapse of startup Ozy Media
- Former Northeastern University employee convicted of staging hoax explosion at Boston campus
- California Communities Celebrate ‘Massive’ Victory as Oil Industry Drops Unpopular Referendum
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Pregnant Hailey Bieber Reveals Her Simple Hack for Staying Cool in the Summer
California Communities Celebrate ‘Massive’ Victory as Oil Industry Drops Unpopular Referendum
At 28, Bardella could become youngest French prime minister at helm of far-right National Rally
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Paul George agrees to four-year, $212 million deal with Sixers
Pride parades in photos: See how Pride Month 2024 is celebrated worldwide
Mets OF Brandon Nimmo sits out against Nationals after fainting in hotel room and cutting forehead