Current:Home > NewsTree of Life synagogue demolition begins ahead of rebuilding site of deadly antisemitic attack -Capitatum
Tree of Life synagogue demolition begins ahead of rebuilding site of deadly antisemitic attack
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 05:15:40
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Demolition got underway Wednesday at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, the site of the deadliest antisemitic attack in U.S. history, as part of the effort to reimagine the building to honor the 11 people who were killed there in 2018.
The demolition work began slowly, with crews picking away at the building’s exterior.
Most of the building will be removed, although portions of the sanctuary walls will be preserved. The new building will include spaces for worship, a museum, an education center and a movie theater.
Carole Zawatsky, who heads the new nonprofit overseeing the project, was at the site as demolition began. She said she had a mix of emotions, including feeling bittersweet knowing why the old building was being demolished but also feeling tremendous excitement about seeing the project moving forward. It was sobering and a physical manifestation of healing, she said.
“It is an incredible symbol of great resilience and moving forward,” she said.
The Oct. 27, 2018, attack claimed the lives of 11 worshippers from three congregations meeting at the synagogue – Dor Hadash, New Light and Tree of Life. The three have been meeting at nearby synagogues since then.
In a related project, a memorial to the victims is being planned for a site just outside the synagogue.
The process of planning that memorial was left to representatives of the congregations and victims’ families.
The design calls for a walkway that will lead visitors into garden memorial with 11 sculpted forms of open books, each representing one of the people who were killed.
They represent the “Book of Life,” where, according to Jewish tradition, the righteous are named.
The man who killed the congregants was sentenced to death last year, after the conclusion of a long-delayed federal trial.
veryGood! (7262)
Related
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Hunter Biden's bid to toss gun charges rejected by U.S. appeals court
- Powerball winning numbers for May 8: Jackpot now worth $36 million
- Olympic flame reaches France for 2024 Paris Olympics aboard a 19th century sailing ship
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Judge finds Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson needs conservatorship because of mental decline
- The Purrfect Way Kate Bosworth Relationship Has Influenced Justin Long
- Are Justin Bieber and Hailey Bieber Having Twins? Here’s the Truth
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Horoscopes Today, May 9, 2024
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- 1 lawmaker stops South Carolina health care consolidation bill that had overwhelming support
- Derby was electric, but if horses keep skipping Preakness, Triple Crown loses relevance
- Third week of testimony in Trump’s hush money trial draws to a close, with Michael Cohen yet to come
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- No Idea How To Do Your Hair? These Under-$15 Accessories & Tool-Free Style Hacks Are the Perfect Solution
- Family of 10-Year-Old Survivor in Quadruple Murder-Suicide Praise His Resilience
- Catholic church is stonewalling sex abuse investigation, Washington attorney general says
Recommendation
3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
Trump is limited in what he can say about his court case. His GOP allies are showing up to help
To the single woman, past 35, who longs for a partner and kids on Mother's Day
California’s budget deficit has likely grown. Gov. Gavin Newsom will reveal his plan to address it
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Florida sheriff's deputy seen fatally shooting U.S. airman in newly released body camera video
Officials removed from North Carolina ‘eCourts’ lawsuit alleging unlawful arrests, jail time
Disney and Warner Bros. are bundling their streaming platforms