Current:Home > StocksPacific storm dumps heavy rains, unleashes flooding in California coastal cities -Capitatum
Pacific storm dumps heavy rains, unleashes flooding in California coastal cities
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:11:48
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) — A Pacific storm pounded parts of Southern California on Thursday with heavy rain and street flooding, adding to hassles as holiday travel got underway.
The downpours targeted coastal Ventura and Santa Barbara counties northwest of Los Angeles County, swamping areas in the cities of Port Hueneme, Oxnard and Santa Barbara.
Rainfall rates exceeding 3 inches (7.6 centimeters) an hour unleashed flash flooding in Ventura County, the National Weather Service said. Later in the morning, streets began filling with water in parts of Santa Barbara as the storm delivered another deluge.
Sven Dybdahl, owner of olive oil and vinegar store Viva Oliva in downtown Santa Barbara, said he had trouble finding dry routes to work Thursday morning, but most of the heavy rains and flooding had receded shortly before 11 a.m. He said he was grateful that the weather is only expected to be an issue for a few days at the tail end of the holiday shopping season, otherwise he’d be worried about how the rains would affect his store’s bottom line.
“It will have an impact but thankfully it’s happening quite late,” he said.
The city of Port Hueneme issued evacuation orders for residences on four streets and warned of potential evacuations on four other streets. About 60 houses were affected by the orders, all in a senior citizen community, said Firefighter Andy VanSciver, a Ventura County fire spokesperson. An evacuation center was set up at a college gymnasium.
Three people from the senior community were taken to hospitals out of an abundance of caution, and there were multiple rescues of drivers from flooded vehicles, he said.
The city of Oxnard said in a social media post that many streets and intersections were heavily impacted. “Please stay off the city streets for the next several hours until the water recedes,” the post said.
The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning for Oxnard and the city of Ventura at 1:28 a.m. due to a high-intensity thunderstorm, but no tornado activity was immediately observed, the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office said in a social media post.
Hours later at Heritage Coffee and Gifts in downtown Oxnard, manager Carlos Larios said the storm hadn’t made a dent in their Thursday morning rush despite “gloomy” skies.
“People are still coming in to get coffee, which is surprising,” he said. “I don’t think the rain is going to stop many people from being out and about.”
The storm swept through Northern California earlier in the week as the center of the low-pressure system slowly moved south off the coast. Forecasters described it as a “cutoff low,” a storm that is cut off from the general west-to-east flow and can linger for days, increasing the amount of rainfall.
The system was producing hit-and-miss bands of precipitation rather than generalized widespread rainfall. Forecasters said the low would wobble slightly away from the coast on Thursday, drawing moisture away and allowing some sunshine, but will return.
The San Diego-area weather office warned that rather than fizzling, the storm was gathering energy and its main core would move through that region overnight through Friday morning.
Meanwhile, Californians were gearing up for holiday travel and finishing preparations for Christmas. The Automobile Club of Southern California predicted 9.5 million people in the region would travel during the year-end holiday period.
The Northeast was hit with an unexpectedly strong storm earlier this week, and some parts of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont were still digging out from rain and wind damage. Parts of Maine along the Androscoggin and Kennebec rivers were hit especially hard.
Floodwaters were receding throughout northern New England, though some localized areas were still in the flood stage, said Jon Palmer, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. Flood warnings were also still in effect in parts of Maine and New Hampshire, he said.
At least four people died in Maine as a result of the storm.
The storm cut power to 400,000 customers in Maine, and restoration was still underway Thursday morning.
—-
Antczak reported from Los Angeles. Associated Press reporters Stefanie Dazio in Los Angeles and Patrick Whittle in Portland, Maine, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff speaks to basketball clinic, meets All-Stars, takes in HBCU game
- Trump’s legal debts top a half-billion dollars. Will he have to pay?
- 6-year-old’s sister returns from military duty to surprise him in the school lunch line
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Christian-nation idea fuels US conservative causes, but historians say it misreads founders’ intent
- Albuquerque Police Department opens internal investigation into embattled DWI unit
- Horoscopes Today, February 16, 2024
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Sheriff says Tennessee man tried to enroll at Michigan school to meet minor
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Christian-nation idea fuels US conservative causes, but historians say it misreads founders’ intent
- Satellite shows California snow after Pineapple Express, but it didn't replenish snowpack
- Former NBA big man Scot Pollard receives heart transplant, wife says
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff speaks to basketball clinic, meets All-Stars, takes in HBCU game
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake outside of small Texas city among several recently in area
- Albuquerque Police Department Chief crashes into vehicle while avoiding gunfire
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Thousands of fans 'Taylor-gate' outside of Melbourne stadium
Former NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre is on trial for alleged corruption. Here's what to know as the civil trial heads to a jury.
NBA All-Star 3-point contest 2024: Time, how to watch, participants, rules
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
NBA commissioner for a day? Vince Staples has some hilarious ideas – like LeBron throwing a chair
Saving democracy is central to Biden’s campaign messaging. Will it resonate with swing state voters?
Who are the past winners of the NBA Slam Dunk contest?
Tags
Like
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- New book on ‘whistle-stop’ campaign trains describes politics and adventure throughout history
- Customs and Border Protection's top doctor tried to order fentanyl lollipops for helicopter trip to U.N., whistleblowers say