Current:Home > reviewsNorfolk Southern agrees to pay $600M in settlement related to train derailment in eastern Ohio -Capitatum
Norfolk Southern agrees to pay $600M in settlement related to train derailment in eastern Ohio
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 08:02:52
Norfolk Southern has agreed to pay $600 million in a class-action lawsuit settlement related to a fiery train derailment in February 2023 in eastern Ohio.
The company said Tuesday that the agreement, if approved by the court, will resolve all class action claims within a 20-mile radius from the derailment and, for those residents who choose to participate, personal injury claims within a 10-mile radius from the derailment.
Norfolk Southern added that individuals and businesses will be able to use compensation from the settlement in any manner they see fit to address potential adverse impacts from the derailment, which could include healthcare needs, property restoration and compensation for any net business loss. Individuals within 10-miles of the derailment may, at their discretion, choose to receive additional compensation for any past, current, or future personal injury from the derailment.
The company said that the settlement doesn’t include or constitute any admission of liability, wrongdoing, or fault.
The settlement is expected to be submitted for preliminary approval to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio later in April 2024. Payments to class members under the settlement could begin by the end of the year, subject to final court approval.
Norfolk Southern has already spent more than $1.1 billion on its response to the derailment, including more than $104 million in direct aid to East Palestine and its residents. Partly because Norfolk Southern is paying for the cleanup, President Joe Biden has never declared a disaster in East Palestine, which is a sore point for many residents. The railroad has promised to create a fund to help pay for the long-term health needs of the community, but that hasn’t happened yet.
Last week federal officials said that the aftermath of the train derailment doesn’t qualify as a public health emergency because widespread health problems and ongoing chemical exposures haven’t been documented.
The Environmental Protection Agency never approved that designation after the February 2023 Norfolk Southern derailment even though the disaster forced the evacuation of half the town of East Palestine and generated many fears about potential long-term health consequences of the chemicals that spilled and burned. The contamination concerns were exacerbated by the decision to blow open five tank cars filled with vinyl chloride and burn that toxic chemical three days after the derailment.
The head of the National Transportation Safety Board said recently that her agency’s investigation showed that the vent and burn of the vinyl chloride was unnecessary because the company that produced that chemical was sure no dangerous chemical reaction was happening inside the tank cars. But the officials who made the decision have said they were never told that.
The NTSB’s full investigation into the cause of the derailment won’t be complete until June, though that agency has said that an overheating wheel bearing on one of the railcars that wasn’t detected in time by a trackside sensor likely caused the crash.
The EPA has said the cleanup in East Palestine is expected to be complete sometime later this year.
Shares of Norfolk Southern Corp., based in Atlanta, fell about 1% before the opening bell Tuesday.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Can I take on 2 separate jobs in the same company? Ask HR
- Opinion: Chris Wallace leaves CNN to go 'where the action' is. Why it matters
- Will the NBA Cup become a treasured tradition? League hopes so, but it’s too soon to tell
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Parts of Southern California under quarantine over oriental fruit fly infestation
- Tom Brady Shares How He's Preparing for Son Jack to Be a Stud
- Man Found Dead in Tanning Bed at Planet Fitness Gym After 3 Days
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Charles Hanover: Caution, Bitcoin May Be Entering a Downward Trend!
Ranking
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Skai Jackson announces pregnancy with first child: 'My heart is so full!'
- Family of security guard shot and killed at Portland, Oregon, hospital sues facility for $35M
- Roster limits in college small sports put athletes on chopping block while coaches look for answers
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- New Yorkers vent their feelings over the election and the Knicks via subway tunnel sticky notes
- Why Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams May Be Rejoining the George R.R. Martin Universe
- Denver district attorney is investigating the leak of voting passwords in Colorado
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Armie Hammer Says His Mom Gifted Him a Vasectomy for His 38th Birthday
Diamond Sports Group will offer single-game pricing to stream NBA and NHL games starting next month
Why Outer Banks Fans Think Costars Rudy Pankow and Madison Bailey Used Stunt Doubles Amid Rumored Rift
Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
Controversial comedian Shane Gillis announces his 'biggest tour yet'
NFL overreactions: New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys going nowhere after Week 10
MLS Star Marco Angulo Dead at 22 One Month After Car Crash