Current:Home > My16-year-old suspect in Juneteenth shooting that hurt 6 sent to adult court -Capitatum
16-year-old suspect in Juneteenth shooting that hurt 6 sent to adult court
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 06:58:56
MILWAUKEE (AP) — A judge Tuesday waived to adult court a 16-year-old boy charged in a shooting after a Juneteenth celebration last year that left six people wounded.
Milwaukee County Circuit Court Judge Kristela Cervera granted prosecutors’ request to try the teen as an adult.
Cervera said the seriousness of the teen’s alleged offenses outweighed mitigating factors presented by his defense.
“These are charges that are extremely serious, and it’s not in the public’s best interest for the juvenile court to retain jurisdiction at this time,” Cervera said.
Cervera set his bail at $250,000.
When he was first charged as a 15-year-old, the youth faced four counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety as a party to a crime, two counts of first-degree reckless injury as a party to a crime, and one count each of possession of a firearm by adjudicated delinquent, possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18, disorderly conduct and violation of nonsecure custody order.
The June 19 shooting outside a church injured two males ages 17 and 19 and four girls or women ranging in age from 14 to 18 years old. All six shooting victims survived.
Investigators believe the shooting stemmed from a fight between young women outside the church, police said.
A Facebook Live video of the aftermath showed paramedics treating people with gunshot wounds on the pavement of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, where thousands of people had filled the street for the city’s Juneteenth festival just 20 minutes earlier.
veryGood! (618)
Related
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Bristol Palin Says Dancing With the Stars’ Maksim Chmerkovskiy Hated Her During Competition
- Man charged in Arkansas grocery store shooting sued by woman who was injured in the attack
- Edgar Bronfman Jr. withdraws offer for Paramount, allowing Skydance merger to go ahead
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Philip Morris International is expanding Kentucky factory to boost production of nicotine pouches
- When is the NFL's roster cut deadline? Date, time
- Don’t Miss Gap Factory’s Labor Day Sales, Up to 70% off Plus an Extra 15% with Chic Styles as Low as $12
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Kelces cash in: Travis and Jason Kelce take popular ‘New Heights’ podcast to Amazon’s Wondery
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Alix Earle apologizes for using racial slurs in posts from a decade ago: 'No excuse'
- NFL owners approve rule allowing portion of franchise to be sold to private equity firms
- Philip Morris International is expanding Kentucky factory to boost production of nicotine pouches
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Former youth center resident testifies against worker accused of rape
- Harris campaign releases new ad to highlight plans to build 3 million homes and reduce inflation
- Khloe Kardashian Admits She's Having a Really Hard Time as Daughter True Thompson Starts First Grade
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Bradley Whitford criticizes Cheryl Hines for being 'silent' as RFK Jr. backs Donald Trump
Kylie Kelce Reveals the Personal Change Jason Kelce Has Made Since NFL Retirement
Former WWE champion Sid Eudy, also known as 'Sycho Sid,' dies at 63, son says
Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
LA to pay more than $38M for failing to make affordable housing accessible
How a Technology Similar to Fracking Can Store Renewable Energy Underground Without Lithium Batteries
Russia’s deadly overnight barrage of missiles and drones hits over half of Ukraine, officials say